Date: 9/4/20 10:22 am
From: John Ebner <dmarc-noreply...> (Redacted sender john.ebner for DMARC)
Subject: [texbirds] Re: Hummingbird behavior
It seems to me that Kelly mentioned that Calliopes tended to prefer lower areas. This was at his talk at the Davis Mtn hummingbird festival in 2017.
John Ebner
Mission (currently in Indiana)

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 4, 2020, at 12:49 AM, Beth McBroom <bethmcb...> wrote:

I live where Kelly Bryan used to live in the Davis Mtns, so you know I have scores of hummers coming to feeders in my yard, including many Calliope. I have not paid particular attention to the height of hummer perches, but I will now! I have not noticed that the Calliopes perch any lower than the other species. It seems to me they all perch about the same height as the nearest feeder. Mine are all 6-12 feet off the ground. Perhaps if I had more flowering plants, they would perch at the lower height of the flowers. I often see them perched momentarily at greater heights, but they don't stay in one place for long. The exception is the Rufous/Allen's hummers guarding a feeder, who stay perched until they need to chase off a hummer drinking from "their" feeder and usually return to the same perch near rhe feeder or even on the top of the feeder. I did notice White-eared perched low, but I saw her perched only a few times, so those observations may not mean anything. I've also noticed that Rivoli's usually perches deep in a tree rather than in the open.

I'll try to pay more attention.

I'd be interested to know what Kelly has observed. His experience is vastly greater than mine. (Understatement of the day.)

Beth McBroom
Fort Davis

> On Thu, Sep 3, 2020, 8:22 PM Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds...> wrote:
> Greetings All:
>
> This is a query for the hummingbird enthusiasts out there. During the
> last several years I have paid a lot more attention to hummingbirds in
> my yard than usual. I have been getting one-three Calliope
> Hummingbirds every fall and have noticed that though all of my
> Calliope Hummingbirds will forage at feeders at any height (my lowest
> feeder is three feet off the ground, my highest is eight) they seem
> to take low perches (often in my lantana or sunflower thickets)
> whenever available.
>
> This is is stark contrast to all the other hummingbirds
> (Black-chinned, Ruby-throated, Broad-tailed, Rufous, and even the
> exceptionally rare Anna's) that regularly visit; all of which seem to
> prefer higher perches (generally on dead limbs, mid- to upper-level in
> my live-oaks or pecans).
>
> Being in Lubbock, I have a pretty low sample size but wonder if others
> out there have noted a tendency for Calliope Hummingbirds to take low
> perches?
>
> Anthony Hewetson; Lubbock

> from the List Owner

Join us on Facebook!