Date: 9/3/20 9:49 pm
From: Beth McBroom <bethmcb...>
Subject: [texbirds] Re: Hummingbird behavior
I live where Kelly Bryan used to live in the Davis Mtns, so you know I have
scores of hummers coming to feeders in my yard, including many Calliope. I
have not paid particular attention to the height of hummer perches, but I
will now! I have not noticed that the Calliopes perch any lower than the
other species. It seems to me they all perch about the same height as the
nearest feeder. Mine are all 6-12 feet off the ground. Perhaps if I had
more flowering plants, they would perch at the lower height of the
flowers. I often see them perched momentarily at greater heights, but
they don't stay in one place for long. The exception is the Rufous/Allen's
hummers guarding a feeder, who stay perched until they need to chase off a
hummer drinking from "their" feeder and usually return to the same perch
near rhe feeder or even on the top of the feeder. I did notice White-eared
perched low, but I saw her perched only a few times, so those observations
may not mean anything. I've also noticed that Rivoli's usually perches
deep in a tree rather than in the open.

I'll try to pay more attention.

I'd be interested to know what Kelly has observed. His experience is
vastly greater than mine. (Understatement of the day.)

Beth McBroom
Fort Davis

On Thu, Sep 3, 2020, 8:22 PM Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds...>
wrote:

> Greetings All:
>
> This is a query for the hummingbird enthusiasts out there. During the
> last several years I have paid a lot more attention to hummingbirds in
> my yard than usual. I have been getting one-three Calliope
> Hummingbirds every fall and have noticed that though all of my
> Calliope Hummingbirds will forage at feeders at any height (my lowest
> feeder is three feet off the ground, my highest is eight) they seem
> to take low perches (often in my lantana or sunflower thickets)
> whenever available.
>
> This is is stark contrast to all the other hummingbirds
> (Black-chinned, Ruby-throated, Broad-tailed, Rufous, and even the
> exceptionally rare Anna's) that regularly visit; all of which seem to
> prefer higher perches (generally on dead limbs, mid- to upper-level in
> my live-oaks or pecans).
>
> Being in Lubbock, I have a pretty low sample size but wonder if others
> out there have noted a tendency for Calliope Hummingbirds to take low
> perches?
>
> Anthony Hewetson; Lubbock
>
> Reposting of traffic from TEXBIRDS is prohibited without seeking
> permission
> from the List Owner

Join us on Facebook!