Date: 9/3/20 7:24 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Detroit River Hawk Watch (03 Sep 2020) 8 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 8 23 23

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Kevin Georg

Observers: Andrew Sturgess, Rosemary Brady

Visitors:
While Lake Erie Metropark is currently open to the public, for the safety
of our counter and volunteers we encourage visitors to follow along with
the count virtually on Hawk Count.org, or our Detroit River Hawk Watch
Facebook page. There will be daily updates and photographs.
If you do decide to join us in person, please help the counter and
volunteers to follow their mandated safety protocols by refraining from
approaching them. Please follow the recommended Covid 19 procedures by
wearing a mask and maintaining a safe social distance. Thanking you in
advance for your cooperation. Stay safe!

Weather:
The signs did not look good today with us sitting in the tail end of a low
pressure system passing through. There was a front coming in that looked to
pass mostly to the north of us but it caused the barometer to drop through
the day. The skies looked inviting with high cirrus at first followed by
blue skies sparsely populated with small cumulus clouds. The winds shifted
to the southwest and grew in intensity helping our comfort level if nothing
else. All in all, it was a pleasant day to look at but of little reward in
terms of migrating raptors

Raptor Observations:
The increasing winds brought out the local inhabitants to fly. Bald eagles
were seen frequently, covering miles as they soared on the fresh winds. A
number of ospreys were observed. We are not sure yet how many locals we
have but it certainly is quite a few. One was observed in a form of crazy
flying, flipping over three times in a row similar to eagle’s talon
grabbing maneuvers. Kestrels have been our most common of the small
migrants so far with five being counted today. Only one sharp-shinned made
the list today. We did count a couple of bald eagles today.

Non-raptor Observations:
Gulls, Caspian Terns and mixed swallows provided most of the entertainment
today. Of interest was a juvenile red-headed woodpecker that flew over.
There are a mix of warblers in the hedgerow behind us although our eyes are
usually pointed in another direction. Pied-billed grebes were still
observed and will probably stay for some time. Killdeer and Lesser
Yellowlegs were our shorebird reps today.

Predictions:
Tomorrow looks to be a better day. The low will have passed during the
night bringing NW winds and a rising barometer. Given that it is the early
days of the watch it will be interesting to see if the birds respond to
what might be good conditions for them to move.
Report submitted by Kevin Georg (<kevin.l.georg...>)
Detroit River Hawk Watch information may be found at:
http://www.detroitriverhawkwatch.org

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=285

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<c47f2f73470504b90f654b0634948714...>