Date: 9/3/20 7:10 pm
From: Kurt Schwarz <kurtschwarz4...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Painting wind turbine blades black to decrease bird hits
That study was very small and not large enough. It points to a possible
mitigation measure but needs to be expanded to establish validity. And it
is no panacea or excuse for poor sighting. Also, as someone has pointed
out, does nothing for bats. And the study ignores the fact that FAA has a
say. A similar study in the Netherlands showed purple turbines also reduced
kills. But it will not pass muster in the US due to flight issues.

Again, the best solution is to not put turbines where they will kill birds
and bats.

Poor siting of turbines has engaged MOS for the last 15 or more years.

Kurt Schwarz
Conservation Chair
Maryland Ornithological Society

On Thu, Sep 3, 2020 at 9:50 PM Bobbi <b.reichwein...> wrote:

> Hi all-sent to me by a friend-interesting-what do some of you think?
>

> https://www.yahoo.com/news/painting-wind-turbines-black-could-132537552.html
>
> Bobbi Reichwein
> Davidsonville, MD
>

> --