Date: 9/3/20 6:22 pm
From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds...>
Subject: [texbirds] Hummingbird behavior
Greetings All:

This is a query for the hummingbird enthusiasts out there. During the
last several years I have paid a lot more attention to hummingbirds in
my yard than usual. I have been getting one-three Calliope
Hummingbirds every fall and have noticed that though all of my
Calliope Hummingbirds will forage at feeders at any height (my lowest
feeder is three feet off the ground, my highest is eight) they seem
to take low perches (often in my lantana or sunflower thickets)
whenever available.

This is is stark contrast to all the other hummingbirds
(Black-chinned, Ruby-throated, Broad-tailed, Rufous, and even the
exceptionally rare Anna's) that regularly visit; all of which seem to
prefer higher perches (generally on dead limbs, mid- to upper-level in
my live-oaks or pecans).

Being in Lubbock, I have a pretty low sample size but wonder if others
out there have noted a tendency for Calliope Hummingbirds to take low
perches?

Anthony Hewetson; Lubbock
http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds

from the List Owner