Date: 9/3/20 4:05 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Holiday Beach Hawk Watch (03 Sep 2020) 15 Raptors

Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 15 33 33

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Maryse Gagné

Observers: Elizabeth Kent, Hugh Kent

Visitors:
Thank you to Noel Herdman for visiting to the tower in the afternoon. We
thank Noel and others for respecting the protocols put in place to keep our
counters safe by limiting the number of people on the top floor to three at
one time ad staying distanced. Be safe everyone!

Weather:
Hot and beautiful day on the tower today. The day started with a full cloud
cover, but the clouds dissipated in the early afternoon letting the
temperature rise to 30 degrees Celsius at its highest. Winds were blowing
from the South and South-West all day and created whitecaps on Lake Erie,
but that strong winds was not felt on the tower since we are blocked by
many trees.

Raptor Observations:
We counted 15 beautiful raptors today starting off with two Northern
Harriers in the morning. After that, the day belonged to the American
Kestrels, our most numerous raptor of the day. A few Merlins, two Cooper's
Hawks, and a Peregrine also flew over. Throughout the day, a dozen Turkey
Vultures wandered lazily over the marsh, not yet ready to migrate. Our
local Peregrine made an appearance to harass the resident Bald Eagles and
Ospreys.

Non-raptor Observations:
Vireos are on the move! Today we counted many Warbling, Red-eyed, and
Philadelphia Vireos fluttering at the base of the tower. Swallows are still
moving through, the majority today being Barn and Tree Swallows, and a few
Cliff Swallows. American Goldfinches and Cedar Waxwings are coming in
consistent numbers, and we welcome Chimney Swift and Ruby-throated
Hummingbirds with great excitement.
On the marsh the Great Egrets have increased their presence, but are still
low in numbers compared to Mute Swans and Double-crested Cormorants. Marsh
highlights include an American Bittern and a Dunlin spotted flying above
the marsh.
For full ebird list: https://ebird.org/checklist/S73148332

Predictions:
We are expecting winds to shift to the North-West during the night only to
to the tower, and Western winds in the day could bring us raptors such as
American Kestrels and Sharp-shinned Hawks.
Report submitted by Maryse Gagné (<maryse.gagne35...>)
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=100

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<04f418c0376b902621e126f579c81250...>