Date: 9/3/20 1:29 pm
From: Thomas Love <tlove...>
Subject: [obol] north central OR trip 3 Sep highlights
Working on some remaining county lists, I ran over to Sherman and Gilliam counties yesterday. Generally little fall movement, no shorebirds. A few highlights:

MULT: got to Wahkeena about 07:30, I was the only one there, spent about 20 mins at the talus slope corner, no Canyon Wren (or Pika). Generally very quiet - birdwise, that is; I was amazed at how much din there is from I-84 and the RR, normally I'd just chalk this up to people (e.g. at Mult. Falls).

HR: at river mouth, dipped on the Green Heron, but did hear a BLACK PHOEBE and there were two adult HERRING GULLS among the couple of dozen RING-BILLED and CALIF GULLS.

SHERMAN: thankfully windless, but pretty dead at DRSP.

GILLIAM: Lots of AMER KESTRELS everywhere up higher. Condon ponds featured 2 RED-N PHAL, the continuing male C GOLDENEYE and a PEREGRINE FALCON, among a scattering of brown dux. Lonerock was pleasant (though I didn't realize the road south is closed to get up higher and loop around to Kinzua and Fossil): 2 LEWIS'S W, a single ASH-THR FLY. The Gilliam stretch of forest on Lost Valley Rd near Hanna Ranch featured all three NUTHATCHES.

WHEELER: very quiet overall. Not much on the big pond on 19 north of Fossil.

Overall pretty hot and quiet, but beautiful nonetheless. Maybe the coming east winds will pick up migration.

Tom

Join us on Facebook!