Date: 9/3/20 10:33 am
From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds...>
Subject: [texbirds] 2020 Photographic Game - August Report
Greetings All:

I'm going to give it one more try: while polishing off the historical
data for eBird I'm going to take it easy and try, once more, to have a
good year in the yard, shooting for 40 species of butterfly, 0 species
of amphibian (should be able to achieve that goal:)), 2 species of
reptile, 80 species of bird, and 4 species of mammal - with at least
90% of the critters seen photographed.

Next year, by gosh and by golly, I will do something different:)

August was interesting - with very little rain, I was doing 2-3
spot-watering sessions every three days but the yard still looked
grim. This resulted in lower than expected butterfly additions (only
four species) but I did surprisingly well on birds (nine additions)
was much worse than I hoped

During August I spotted 20 species of butterfly, 0 species of
amphibian, 1 species of reptile, 36 species of bird, and 4 species of
mammal, bringing me up to 36 species of butterfly, 0 species of
amphibian, 1 species of reptile, 56 species of bird, and 4 species of
mammal - 90%, 100%, 50%, 70%, and 100% of my taxonomic goals for the
year. Of the ninety-seven species seen so far this year, I have
photographs of eighty-seven (89.69%).

I think that September will be better as, with or without rain, things
should cool down, bringing on more blossoms and butterflies and
September always seem to kick out some lazily-flying waders and some
interesting migrant birds.

The August list follows, coded as *= new, (y) = photographed:

Common Sootywings
Common Checkered Skipper
Orange Skipperling
Sachem