Date: 9/2/20 7:51 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Detroit River Hawk Watch (01 Sep 2020) 5 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 5 5 5

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Kevin Georg

Observers: Andrew Sturgess, Rosemary Brady

Visitors:
While Lake Erie Metropark is currently open to the public, for the safety
of our counter and volunteers we encourage visitors to follow along with
the count virtually on Hawk Count.org, or our Detroit River Hawk Watch
Facebook page. There will be daily updates and photographs.
If you do decide to join us in person, please help the counter and
volunteers to follow their mandated safety protocols by refraining from
approaching them. Please follow the recommended Covid 19 procedures by
wearing a mask and maintaining a safe social distance. Thanking you in
advance for your cooperation. Stay safe!

Weather:
The forecast for the day did not look promising with potential scattered
thunderstorms predicted for a late afternoon arrival. A fairly robust
southerly wind had furled the lotus leaves in the channel causing them to
show their lighter underside for most of the day. It brought with it plenty
of humidity that hung in the air like a light veil as the sky alternated
views of billowing cumulus clouds with intervals of blue. Although there
were times when the weather looked mildly threatening, the storms did not
materialize and allowed us a full day of observation. The wind had enough
of an eastern element to blow off the lake and keep us comfortable in the
heat and humidity. The barometer did not fall as much as predicted but
trended downward at the end of the day.

Raptor Observations:
Most raptors seem reluctant to fly in the face of a strong southern wind
and today was no exception. We did see local birds with ospreys frequently
flying by and a few bald eagle sightings. Three turkey vultures were lazily
soaring in the area. We did see a red-tailed hawk for a few moments. A
surprise kestrel made the crossing. A local Cooper’s hawk teased the
photographers by flying over us a couple of times but not presenting his
best side to us.

Non-raptor Observations:
The Caspian Terns and gulls kept us entertained today. No Forster’s Terns
were seen today and normally they are present. A flight of mute swans was
seen over the tip of Celeron Island. Cedar Waxwings were observed hawking
insects a few times along with indefatigable barn swallows chasing tiny
unseen morsels. Small packs of red-winged blackbirds were seen winging
their way by. A couple of single blue jays were seen as a reminder of the
thousands to come later in the season. A Lesser Yellowlegs landed on the
mats of algae and vegetation in front of us, feeding as we wondered at its
ability to stand on such a precarious surface.

Predictions:
The unsettled weather may continue into the morning hours. The wind will
shift to the west and stay fresh, climbing into double digits as the day
advances. The barometer will be relatively low with chances of rain and
cloudy weather. Given that the early days of the watch are not generally
too productive and that the weather does not seem encouraging I would not
expect a large movement tomorrow.
Report submitted by Kevin Georg (<kevin.l.georg...>)
Detroit River Hawk Watch information may be found at:
http://www.detroitriverhawkwatch.org

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=285

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<a13392a079274f1c55c7008182188336...>