Date: 9/2/20 3:51 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Holiday Beach Hawk Watch (02 Sep 2020) 10 Raptors

Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 10 18 18

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Maryse Gagné

Observers: Elizabeth Kent, Hugh Kent

Visitors:
Thank you to Hugh and Elizabeth Kent, our count coordinators, for their
expertise today! Also thank you to John Barns for the quick visit to the
top of the tower.

Weather:
A pleasant day on the tower with temperatures staying the mid 20 degrees
Celsius. Winds were stronger today and blowing from the South-West and
West. The sky was mostly cloudy and did bring us a small shower in the
middle of the afternoon, but after the rain, the clouds parted and we ended
the day under a beautiful blue sky.

Raptor Observations:
Migration is slowly picking up, as we made it to the double digits with 10
raptors flying over today. All three falcon species; American Kestrel,
Merlin, and Peregrine Falcon we're counted. We also spent a portion of the
afternoon excitedly observing a local Peregrine Falcon diving at the
resident Ospreys and Bald Eagles over the marsh. Also migrating through
were a Cooper's Hawks, a Northern Harrier, and a few Sharp-shinned Hawks,
the last of which flew right above our heads offering us a great look.

Non-raptor Observations:
Today's main highlight came from a Prothonotary Warbler seen at the base of
the tower fluttering close to the pond. Here's to hoping it will come back
for another visit!
Other passerines included Magnolia Warblers, Black-and-White Warblers,
Warbling Vireos, and Red-eyed Vireos.
Swallows were also in abundance, with the usual suspects being Purple
Martins and Tree Swallows, but today we also counted over a hundred Barn
Swallows and a few Cliff and Bank Swallows. Mixed among the swallows, we
counted 43 Chimney Swifts.
On the marsh, hidden between the Mute Swans you could spot a few American
Coots, Pied-billed Grebes, Hooded Mergansers.

Full ebird list: https://ebird.org/checklist/S73113610

Predictions:
Tomorrow we are expecting another warm and sunny day with mild winds from
the South once again. Even with less favourable winds, we are hoping
raptors such as Sharp-shinned Hawks, American Kestrel, and Merlins will
keep migrating towards us and fly close to the tower.
Report submitted by Maryse Gagné (<maryse.gagne35...>)
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=100

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<4d89cbf4fd13ffdfd1d9fdc5473e6f6c...>