Date: 9/2/20 12:43 pm
From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Summer Lake Hawk
Hi -

I agree with the ID as Red-shouldered Hawk, but this brings up another, somewhat complicated question: Is this a west-coast Red-shoulder (subspecies elegans) or a vagrant from east of the Rockies? Subspecies lineatus breeds west to Minnesota and probably the Dakotas, so is less likely as a vagrant to the west coast than Broad-winged Hawk, which breeds west into interior British Columbia, but I believe California has at least one record.

I bring this up because these photos seem to look a bit more like the latter.

Wayne