Date: 9/2/20 8:16 am
From: Tom McNamara <tmcmac67...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Summer Lake Hawk
I agree that this is a juvenile red-shouldered hawk. It does not seem to
be enough white in the throat/upper breast area; it is more continuously
streaked across. And, as mentioned, malar seems too pale. Additionally,
this bird shows very distinct markings on the undertail coverts (good for
red-shouldered, not so much for broad-winged). Also, timing ---totally good
for resident red shoulders and, I think, very early for a migrating
broad-winged.
Good birding, Tom

On Wed, Sep 2, 2020, 6:33 AM <brrobb...> wrote:

> I have received some different opinions on the immature hawk I found
> yesterday morning at Summer Lake Wildlife Area, some suggesting
> Broad-winged, and others, Red-shouldered. I would very much appreciate
> other opinions. Photos at: https://ebird.org/checklist/S73090969
>

> Roger Robb
>
> Springfield, OR

Join us on Facebook!