Date: 9/2/20 7:22 am
From: Mike Patterson <celata...>
Subject: [obol] Clark's Nutcracker on Saddle Mt - 9/1/2020
Saddle Mountain is closed this summer because of COVID-19 related
State Parks policies this season. I have been given special access to
survey for Oregon Silverspot butterflies and was up counting yesterday
and saw what pretty much had to be a CLARK'S NUTCRACKER.

I saw a jay like bird at a distance and was hoping it would be a
Canada Jay. It had bright white wing patches and white outer tail
feathers. Within a matter of seconds, a large group of STELLER'S JAYS
and a SHARP-SHINNED HAWK that they were harassing passed through the
same tree-scape.

When I got up to the spot where the jays were, I spent several minutes
pygmy-tooting and pishing. This brought in the jays and I also
re-located the hawk, but I did not relocate any nutcrackers or other
jay species.

I cannot categorically eliminate aberrant, symmetrically leucistic
Steller's Jay or a funky Gray Jay, but jays are moving around now and
it's probably worth watching other Coast Range peaks.

--
Mike Patterson
Astoria, OR

Join us on Facebook!