Date: 9/1/20 3:39 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Holiday Beach Hawk Watch (01 Sep 2020) 8 Raptors

Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 8 8 8

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Maryse Gagné

Observers: Bob Hall-Brooks, Chip Ogglesby, Paul Pratt

Visitors:
Thank you to Chip Ogglesby, Bob Hall-Brooks, John Barns, Stan Lee, Paul
Pratt, and Tim Jarrold for their staggered visits today.
This year, the top level of the tower is limited to counters and can only
accommodate three people at one time to maintain proper distancing. We
welcome visitors to the second level of the tower (provided they stay 2
meters apart), and we thank you for your understanding.

Weather:
A hot, humid, and hazy start to the 2020 count. Temperatures rose quickly
in the morning and stayed in the high 20 degrees Celsius. As the air warmed
and the wind picked up slightly, the haze that surrounded the marsh
dissipated by the afternoon, yet the visibility stayed quite low for most
of the day. Winds came in from the South and later South-West, which
unfortunately did not bring us very many birds.

Raptor Observations:
In this very different year, we can find comfort in the constant that is
fall migration. This season will have it's own challenges, but one thing's
for sure; hawks will migrate above our heads.
Our first hawk of the 2020 count was an immature Northern Harrier flying
over in the morning. Throughout the day, American Kestrels, Turkey
Vultures, a Red-tailed Hawk, and a Sharp-shinned Hawk flew over the tower
for a total of 8 raptors today.
Additionally, we are fortunate to observe resident Ospreys fishing in the
marsh, as well as resident Bald Eagles.

Non-raptor Observations:
In the morning we were greeted by a small group of passerines including
Black-White Warblers, Magnolia Warblers, American Redstarts, Chestnut-sided
Warblers, Warbling Vireos, Great-crested Flycatchers, and Blue-gray
Gnatcachers. A lovely surprise came from a few Red-breasted Nuthatches who
have been making their way down this fall. Other notable sightings include
5 Ruby-throated Hummingbirds, a Chimney Sift, and 10 Monarch Butterflies.

Flocks of Mourning Doves, Common Grackles, Cedar Waxwings, American
Goldfinches, Purple Martins, and Tree Swallows were very common in the sky
today.
Lastly, the marsh is currently home to many Mute Swans, Double-crested
Cormorants, Great Blue Herons, and Great Egrets.
For full ebird list: https://ebird.org/checklist/S73079899

Predictions:
Tomorrow we are expecting another hot day, but with stronger winds from the
West. We hope these winds will bring us more raptors such as Sharp-Shinned
Hawks and American Kestrels, and that the predicated rain hold up until the
evening.
Report submitted by Maryse Gagné (<maryse.gagne35...>)
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=100

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<f64d05a60d64754af1bf617e29486d71...>