Date: 8/31/20 2:31 pm
From: Andy Thomas <dmarc-noreply...> (Redacted sender adt0611 for DMARC)
Subject: [obol] Re: Sound file ID help
Thanks to those who took time to respond.

- "Northern Saw-whet Owl"
- "probably Northern Pygmy-Owl"
- "Tamiasciurus douglasi. The Chickaree or "Douglas"squirrel"
- "I'd go with Saw-whet Owl."
- "...that damned squirrel. ;)"
- "...Townsend's Chipmunk?"
- "...don't think your file sounds like a squirrel at all....Saw-whet..."
- "...had I heard it in the field I would have said chicory."
Here are my own thoughts.
In favor of owl (NOPO or NSWO):
- To my ear, it matches closely to some of  the recordings posted at MacaulayLibrary.org., especially NSWO.
- It does not match any recording of Tamiasciurus douglasii at MacaulayLibrary.org.
- There are a lot of Chickarees in the area of this recording, and probably quite a few chipmunks, but I have never heard a sound like this one (that I recall) in 12 years.

In favor of squirrel:

- There are a lot of Chickarees in the area of this recording, and probably quite a few chipmunks.

- It was 11:00 AM.
- There are only a handful of reports of either of the small owls suggested within 10km or so within the last 14 years, at least not on eBird.
- It does sound very similar to the Townsend' Chipmunk in this video that Mike Clark posted, Chipmunk barking, (the second series of "barks").

This call sounds like a pure, short, flutey note to me, without the chirpiness or down-slur of the Chickoree calls that I am familiar with. My questions to those who think it is a Chickaree: What is it about this call that suggests Squirrel? Is this strictly a seasonal call, as Lars suggests?

Thanks again. I want this to be an owl, because that would be cooler.
Andrew Thomas

On Friday, August 28, 2020, 10:51:59 PM PDT, Andy Thomas <dmarc-noreply...> wrote:

My phone app thinks this is a Pied-billed Grebe, but I presume that's unlikely, considering it was in the forest canopy and there wasn't a body of water nearby. (The Willamette was about 1/2 mile away.) I have gotten a couple of thoughts from others, but I'd like to know what you all think, if you care to share. Thanks.

Andrew ThomasWest Linn (Clackamas)

Join us on Facebook!