Date: 8/31/20 9:34 am
From: Thomas Gilg <tom...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Vultures along Hwy 34

On my very recent Brownsville <-> Corvallis drives, the farmers were plowing/planting and kicking up epic dust storms, and ever since the seed/hay harvest awhile back, many small groups of vultures have been in the fields. At my home just outside of Brownsville, the vole population is way up this year, and very recently I’ve had several large groups of vultures fly over.

I don’t suspect anything sinister going on. Last year I met one of the farmers near the Tangent Eagle Roost, and was impressed by his knowledge of the bird populations over the decades, and his efforts to rebuild habitat that had been cut down and plowed under in prior decades.

--tg

From: mary holbert <holbertmary...><mailto:<holbertmary...>>
Date: 8/30/20 11:36 AM (GMT-08:00)
To: <obol-request...><mailto:<obol-request...>
Cc: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol...><mailto:<obol...>>
Subject: [obol] Vultures along Hwy 34

I'm enroute Corvallis to I-5. I noticed along the South side of the highway in fields that have been completely harvested there are lots of vultures on the ground. They are not congregated. They appear to be eating. This is not a recent harvest there's not any stubble the field looks like it's starting to refresh itself. My concern is that somebody is poisoning rodents and the vultures are feeding on them. Any thoughts?

Mary Holbert

Join us on Facebook!