Date: 8/31/20 9:15 am
From: Teresa Hertzel <teresa.hertzel...>
Subject: [obol] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Oregon Rare Bird Alert
*** Species Summary:

Cackling Goose (1 Wallowa)
Common Goldeneye (1 Lake)
Spruce Grouse (Franklin's) (1 Wallowa)
Red-necked Grebe (1 Washington)
Yellow Rail (1 Lake)
American Golden-Plover (1 Tillamook)
Hudsonian Godwit (4 Lincoln)
Ruff (9 Union)
Buff-breasted Sandpiper (7 Lane)
Short-billed Dowitcher (1 Harney)
Herring Gull (American) (2 Douglas)
Brown Pelican (California) (2 Douglas)
Snowy Egret (3 Multnomah)
Red-shouldered Hawk (elegans) (1 Union)
Broad-winged Hawk (1 Wallowa)
Northern Pygmy-Owl (Rocky Mts.) (1 Union)
Long-eared Owl (1 Klamath)
Willow Flycatcher (Northwestern) (1 Deschutes)
Black Phoebe (2 Lake)
Black-capped Chickadee (1 Klamath)
Bank Swallow (1 Lane)
White-breasted Nuthatch (Interior West) (3 Klamath)
Bohemian Waxwing (2 Lake)
American Pipit (1 Lincoln)
Pine Grosbeak (1 Wallowa)
Brewer's Sparrow (2 Washington)
Northern Waterthrush (1 Klamath)
Nashville Warbler (2 Lincoln)
Northern Parula (2 Lake)
Palm Warbler (2 Lake)
Black-throated Gray Warbler (1 Union)
Summer Tanager (3 Grant)

Cackling Goose (Branta hutchinsii) (44)
- Reported Aug 30, 2020 13:06 by Kestrel Arts
- Pete's Pond, Wallowa, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-117.2839022&<ll...>,-117.2839022
- Comments: "Maybe some minima. Some are very dark."

Common Goldeneye (Bucephala clangula) (2)
- Reported Aug 25, 2020 08:45 by Hugh Cotter
- Lakeview Settling Ponds, Lake, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.3649235&<ll...>,-120.3649235
- Comments: "2 different eclipse males or females observed on 2 different
ponds. Each showed rounded brown head with striking golden eye and mostly
black bill. Only observed swimming or standing on edge of shore -- not in
flight."

Spruce Grouse (Franklin's) (Falcipennis canadensis franklinii) (3)
- Reported Aug 30, 2020 16:30 by Sean Cozart
- McCully Creek & Trail, Wallowa, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-117.1372712&<ll...>,-117.1372712
- Comments: "Expected ssp. Many birders have spotted them in the past week.
We only went a third mile up and had two males and one female strut down
the trail."

Red-necked Grebe (Podiceps grisegena) (1)
- Reported Aug 30, 2020 10:48 by Debra Rittelmann
- Tualatin River National Wildlife Refuge, Sherwood US-OR 45.38128,
-122.83117, Washington, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-122.831166&<ll...>,-122.831166
- Comments: "Appears to be a juvenile. Longish bill, reddish throat, white
line coming back from the eye. Pics to come but I am visiting from PA and
can’t upload photos until I return to PA after September 7."

Yellow Rail (Coturnicops noveboracensis) (1)
- Reported Aug 31, 2020 06:25 by Jesse Laney
- Goose Lake, New Pine Creek US-OR 41.99331, -120.32988, Lake, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.329879&<ll...>,-120.329879
- Comments: "Continuing. Clicking."

American Golden-Plover (Pluvialis dominica) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 30, 2020 07:45 by Gary Fugle
- Nehalem Bay SP, Tillamook, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-123.9372826&<ll...>,-123.9372826
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing bird reported by David Mandell on 29Aug.
Coordinates: 45°40'39.6"N 123°56'04.5"W"

Hudsonian Godwit (Limosa haemastica) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 30, 2020 11:48 by Tim Shelmerdine
- Mark Hatfield Marine Science Center and Estuary Trail, Lincoln, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-124.0434766&<ll...>,-124.0434766
- Comments: "Continuing. Noticeably smaller than the nearby marbled
godwits. Transitioning from alternate into basic plumage with red still
visible on the underparts. Black tail and black and white barred undertail
coverts. Pale supercilium and throat, faint dark line through eye. Gray
feathers on saddle."

Hudsonian Godwit (Limosa haemastica) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 30, 2020 11:02 by Tanner Martin
- Mark Hatfield Marine Science Center and Estuary Trail, Lincoln, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-124.0434766&<ll...>,-124.0434766
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing. With dowitcher flock, smaller than MAGO, more
curvature in bill, grayer coloration with black tail. Photos to follow."

Hudsonian Godwit (Limosa haemastica) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 29, 2020 19:48 by Heather Fulton-Bennett
- Mark Hatfield Marine Science Center and Estuary Trail, Lincoln, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-124.0434766&<ll...>,-124.0434766
- Comments: "Continuing bird, associated with shortbilled dowitcher flock,
smaller than marbled with some freckling on belly"

Hudsonian Godwit (Limosa haemastica) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 28, 2020 13:31 by Jeffrey Harms
- Mark Hatfield Marine Science Center and Estuary Trail, Lincoln, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-124.0434766&<ll...>,-124.0434766
- Comments: "Seen with scope on farther sand flat. Larger than dowitchers,
long bicolored slightly upturned bill, dark underwings."

Ruff (Calidris pugnax) (1)
- Reported Aug 30, 2020 13:27 by Rebecca Hartman
- 61205 Union Cove Highway, Cove, Oregon, US (45.297, -117.829), Union,
Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-117.8291574&<ll...>,-117.8291574
- Comments: "Comments, maybe pics to follow. Long legged shorebirds, buffy
neck and undersides. Constant , fairly rapid picking at water surface."

Ruff (Calidris pugnax) (1)
- Reported Aug 30, 2020 18:07 by Nolan Clements
- 61205 Union Cove Highway, Cove, Oregon, US (45.297, -117.83), Union,
Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-117.8304989&<ll...>,-117.8304989
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing. Absolutely incredible find by John S. and Laura J.
this morning. Picked out easily in the rocks away from other shorebirds.
Then disappeared and I could never find it again. Probably still there but
just hiding behind rocks or shoreline topography. 1st county record. Pics."

Ruff (Calidris pugnax) (1)
- Reported Aug 30, 2020 11:47 by Steve Clements
- 61205 Union Cove Highway, Cove, Oregon, US (45.299, -117.831), Union,
Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-117.8311623&<ll...>,-117.8311623
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing bird. Thanks Paul and Trent"

Ruff (Calidris pugnax) (1)
- Reported Aug 30, 2020 11:47 by Arlene Blumton
- 61205 Union Cove Highway, Cove, Oregon, US (45.299, -117.831), Union,
Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-117.8311623&<ll...>,-117.8311623
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing bird. Thanks Paul and Trent"

Ruff (Calidris pugnax) (1)
- Reported Aug 30, 2020 11:30 by Dave Trochlell
- 61205 Union Cove Highway, Cove, Oregon, US (45.299, -117.831), Union,
Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-117.8311623&<ll...>,-117.8311623
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "This was a juvenile Ruff. It had scaly-brown upperparts, the
head and chest were buffy, the belly was white, the legs were fairly long
and dark (greenish?). The bill was of medium length, dark, and slightly
decurved. In flight, the white uppertail coverts and dark primaries could
be seen. Distant photos."

Ruff (Calidris pugnax) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 30, 2020 11:35 by Russ Morgan
- Cove Sewage Treatment Plant, Union, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-117.8290192&<ll...>,-117.8290192
- Media: 5 Photos
- Comments: "Photo’s. Great find earlier in the day by John Sullivan and
Laura Johnson! It made one short duration flight over the main wastewater
ponds and then came back to the southernmost pond. Was lucky to get a few
frames as the bird passed. Largish shorebird with yellow legs and a plump
body with a proportionally small head. White upper tail coverts touching in
the center gave a “v” shaped pattern — diagnostic. Dark buffy breast. Thin
white wing line on upper wing. Mostly white underwing. Ultra dark and scaly
back appearance, and unbarred tertials indicate juvenile."

Ruff (Calidris pugnax) (1)
- Reported Aug 30, 2020 16:01 by Laura Mahrt
- Gravel Pit Conley Rd, Cove, Union, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-117.8291921&<ll...>,-117.8291921
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "continuing bird, thanks Arlene!"

Ruff (Calidris pugnax) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 30, 2020 16:00 by Laura Mahrt
- Old Cove Sewage Pond, Union, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-117.8296456&<ll...>,-117.8296456
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "recurring bird 1st seen by J. Sullivan"

Ruff (Calidris pugnax) (1)
- Reported Aug 30, 2020 16:00 by Michael Daugherty
- Old Cove Sewage Pond, Union, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-117.8296456&<ll...>,-117.8296456
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "recurring bird 1st seen by J. Sullivan"

Buff-breasted Sandpiper (Calidris subruficollis) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 30, 2020 06:40 by Gerry Meenaghan
- 97487, Veneta US-OR 44.06670, -123.28225, Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-123.282249&<ll...>,-123.282249
- Media: 7 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing. Small-medium-sized sandpiper with short, slightly
decurved black bill and proportionately long, yellow legs. Rounded head and
tall, upright posture. Buffy chest. Slightly more brown face. Lightly
spotted black cap and back of neck. Black, white-lined scales on scapulars,
lightening to brown/tan on edge of secondary coverts."

Buff-breasted Sandpiper (Calidris subruficollis) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 30, 2020 06:40 by Ramiro Aragon
- 97487, Veneta US-OR 44.06670, -123.28225, Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-123.282249&<ll...>,-123.282249
- Media: 7 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing. Small-medium-sized sandpiper with short, slightly
decurved black bill and proportionately long, yellow legs. Rounded head and
tall, upright posture. Buffy chest. Slightly more brown face. Lightly
spotted black cap and back of neck. Black, white-lined scales on scapulars,
lightening to brown/tan on edge of secondary coverts."

Buff-breasted Sandpiper (Calidris subruficollis) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 30, 2020 08:12 by Evan Burgess
- Fern Ridge WMA--Royal Ave. area (general), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-123.2574606&<ll...>,-123.2574606
- Comments: "Upright, paler and slightly larger than other sandpipers,
mudflats south of tern island"

Buff-breasted Sandpiper (Calidris subruficollis) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 30, 2020 07:47 by Tye Jeske
- Fern Ridge WMA--Royal Ave. area (general), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-123.2574606&<ll...>,-123.2574606
- Comments: "Continuing, way out in mud South of Tern island. Could only be
seen through scope. Would disappear and reappear from grass, medium sized
shorebird with very buffy head, chest, yellow legs, stood very upright, and
had short slightly curved bill."

Buff-breasted Sandpiper (Calidris subruficollis) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 30, 2020 07:47 by Dennis Arendt
- Fern Ridge WMA--Royal Ave. area (general), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-123.2574606&<ll...>,-123.2574606
- Comments: "Continuing, way out in mud South of Tern island. Could only be
seen through scope. Would disappear and reappear from grass, medium sized
shorebird with very buffy head, chest, yellow legs, stood very upright, and
had short slightly curved bill."

Buff-breasted Sandpiper (Calidris subruficollis) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 30, 2020 06:20 by Vickie Buck
- Fern Ridge WMA--Royal Ave. area (general), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-123.2574606&<ll...>,-123.2574606
- Comments: "Continuing on the mud south of Tern Island from Royal path
(old road). It appeared several times walking east and west, and
disappearing at times behind the green reed sections."

Buff-breasted Sandpiper (Calidris subruficollis) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 30, 2020 06:15 by Sally Hill
- Fern Ridge WMA--Royal Ave. area (general), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-123.2574606&<ll...>,-123.2574606
- Comments: "Continuing g on beach south if tern island. Medium sized shore
bird with Buffy face and breast small head and bill. Long legs."

Short-billed Dowitcher (Limnodromus griseus) (1)
- Reported Aug 30, 2020 09:13 by Pam Otley
- Malheur NWR--Headquarters, Harney, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-118.8440412&<ll...>,-118.8440412
- Comments: "Juvenile, patterned tertials. Photos by Wednesday."

Herring Gull (American) (Larus argentatus smithsonianus) (1)
- Reported Aug 30, 2020 10:59 by Russ Namitz
- Sparrow Park Rd. Beach, Douglas, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-124.1809747&<ll...>,-124.1809747
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Adult. Photo. Light gray mantle and very light iris.… Black
wingtips and pink legs"

Herring Gull (American) (Larus argentatus smithsonianus) (1)
- Reported Aug 30, 2020 10:59 by Leisyka Parrott
- Sparrow Park Rd. Beach, Douglas, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-124.1809747&<ll...>,-124.1809747
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Adult. Photo. Light gray mantle and very light iris.… Black
wingtips and pink legs"

Brown Pelican (California) (Pelecanus occidentalis californicus) (50)
- Reported Aug 30, 2020 11:27 by Russ Namitz
- Umpqua River--North Jetty, Douglas, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-124.204642&<ll...>,-124.204642
- Comments: "I should probably update Coos/Curry coastal filters for this
as well"

Brown Pelican (California) (Pelecanus occidentalis californicus) (50)
- Reported Aug 30, 2020 11:27 by Leisyka Parrott
- Umpqua River--North Jetty, Douglas, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-124.204642&<ll...>,-124.204642
- Comments: "I should probably update Coos/Curry coastal filters for this
as well"

Snowy Egret (Egretta thula) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 30, 2020 07:08 by Jack Maynard
- Smith and Bybee Lakes--Wetland Interlakes Trail, Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-122.7266407&<ll...>,-122.7266407
- Comments: "Continuing. Pictures."

Snowy Egret (Egretta thula) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 30, 2020 07:08 by Patty Newland
- Smith and Bybee Lakes--Wetland Interlakes Trail, Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-122.7266407&<ll...>,-122.7266407
- Comments: "Continuing. Pictures."

Snowy Egret (Egretta thula) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 30, 2020 07:08 by Jenny Jones
- Smith and Bybee Lakes--Wetland Interlakes Trail, Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-122.7266407&<ll...>,-122.7266407
- Comments: "Continuing. Pictures."

Red-shouldered Hawk (elegans) (Buteo lineatus elegans) (1)
- Reported Aug 30, 2020 13:20 by Dave Trochlell
- Wilkinson Lane stop, Union, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-117.9452064&<ll...>,-117.9452064
- Comments: "Continuing. Today it was perched in the tall willow trees on
the south side of Wilkinson Lane."

Broad-winged Hawk (Buteo platypterus) (1)
- Reported Aug 30, 2020 16:30 by Sean Cozart
- McCully Creek & Trail, Wallowa, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-117.1372712&<ll...>,-117.1372712
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Life bird #336. #248 year bird. First Wallowa county record.
Initially spotted approximately at 45.270018, -117.144124 or just before
the corral. We were on our way back from successfully spotting Spruce
Grouse and in a 2 foot gap in the brush to our right, we could see Ferguson
Ridge. For those who've been in the area, Ferguson Ridge is a young-growth
forest from a forest fire +15 years ago. Through that small gap, I caught
sight of the juvenile Northern Goshawk soaring between the few bleached
trees still standing. The more we observed, the more raptors we were seeing
on the ridge, all soaring north to south.

Most of the raptors were Red-tailed Hawks and Swainson's Hawks. I was
focused on trying to shoot doc pics of the moving raptors, trying to locate
the goshawk. At one point, I watched through binos a smaller hawk get
chased by an adult light morph Swainson's. I was able to snap two docs pics
though their quality isn't even worth one star. I would've gotten more or
better quality photos if sand hadn't gotten in my lens at Kinney Lake and
make my focus ring stick, thus eliminating autofocus. My dad confirmed
through binoculars what my photos showed, a stout-winged, short-tailed
Buteo with almost nonexistent markings on the underparts and underwings. No
patagials. The remiges were not dark like in Swainson's in which a juvenile
would be my next guess. The body was also compact, with an almost
pot-bellied look. This hawk also did not fly like Swainson's. It flew on
stiff wingbeats while all the Swainson's, including the one chasing the
BWHA, were quite acrobatic and were constantly teetering from side to side
like harriers.

The second photo shows the BWHA turning away from us and though
underexposed and dark, bright pale windows are visible throughout the
primaries. The hawk was eventually chased back over Ferguson Ridge and was
not seen again unlike the goshawk who returned.

Through the first photo, you can tell that the hawk was proportionally
smaller than the Swainson's Hawk, which should also eliminate Red-tailed
and Ferruginous as a possibilty. All Accipiter species would have long
tails, so this was definitely a small Buteo. Red-shouldered juveniles are
usually not that unmarked below. Since the hawk was a juvenile, it did not
show the white tail band that most birders try looking for in a vagrant
bird. I am personally shocked with how little BWHA are sighted in eastern
Oregon since Boise (Lucky Peak specifically) see them daily in September,
sometimes getting kettles over 22 birds. The Wallowas are a great
north-south range that can attract raptor oddities especially how it's
arranged geographically along the rest of the Rocky Mountains. Though we
won't get near the number seen in Boise, I'm sure they're annual in the
area (a friend of mine photographed an adult in Walla Walla last week), you
just need to get a birder on top of the Wallowas. In the photos, make sure
to read the notes."

Northern Pygmy-Owl (Rocky Mts.) (Glaucidium gnoma pinicola) (2)
- Reported Aug 30, 2020 07:08 by Jonah Gula
- Wallowa-Whitman National Forest, La Grande US-OR (45.3746,-118.3507),
Union, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-118.350671&<ll...>,-118.350671
- Comments: "Single note Rocky Mt song of two going back and forth. Visual
on one. Tiny owl not much larger than the songbirds harassing it"

Long-eared Owl (Asio otus) (1)
- Reported Aug 28, 2020 01:10 by Kevin Spencer
- Sevenmile Guard Station, Klamath, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-122.0744153&<ll...>,-122.0744153
- Comments: "Heard one, possibly two exchanging "yuk yuk yuk calls, then
after about 20 seconds lapse and two descending "whoooo" calls."

Willow Flycatcher (Northwestern) (Empidonax traillii brewsteri/adastus) (1)
- Reported Aug 25, 2020 09:20 by Bob Sizoo
- Redmond Sewage Ponds, Deschutes, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-121.2192706&<ll...>,-121.2192706
- Comments: "Faint eye ring, short primary projection, slight crest
reminiscent of WWPE but olive-brown back, yellow belly, and clear breast.
Yellow lower mandible with dark tip."

Black Phoebe (Sayornis nigricans) (1)
- Reported Aug 28, 2020 07:38 by Joe Russell
- Goose Lake State Recreation Area (Oregon), Lake, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.3235781&<ll...>,-120.3235781
- Comments: "At campground bathrooms."

Black Phoebe (Sayornis nigricans) (1)
- Reported Aug 25, 2020 08:45 by Hugh Cotter
- Lakeview Settling Ponds, Lake, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.3649235&<ll...>,-120.3649235
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Observed between 10-10:30 AM at the north end of the complex
on the chain link fences near the baseball diamonds. A likely juv. showing
rusty wing bars. Photos obtained."

Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus) (2)
- Reported Aug 30, 2020 08:08 by dave haupt
- Wood River Day Use Area, Klamath, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-121.9906425&<ll...>,-121.9906425
- Comments: "Known occurrence at this location"

Bank Swallow (Riparia riparia) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 30, 2020 07:30 by Joshua Little
- Fern Ridge WMA--Royal Ave. area (general), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-123.2574606&<ll...>,-123.2574606
- Comments: "Compact brown swallow, white underneath with crisp brown
breast band"

White-breasted Nuthatch (Interior West) (Sitta carolinensis [lagunae
Group]) (2)
- Reported Aug 29, 2020 06:44 by Kevin Spencer
- Jackson F. Kimball SP, Klamath, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-121.9796562&<ll...>,-121.9796562
- Comments: "Heard calls of this Interior type "tennuisima" with their
rapid "ih" or "eh" sound compared the more "ah" sounding slower paced
Pacific form"

White-breasted Nuthatch (Interior West) (Sitta carolinensis [lagunae
Group]) (1)
- Reported Aug 28, 2020 14:00 by Kevin Spencer
- Oux-Kanee Viewpoint area, Klamath, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-121.8741376&<ll...>,-121.8741376
- Comments: "Rapid "ih" or "eh" sounds compared to more "ah" sound of
Pacific form"

White-breasted Nuthatch (Interior West) (Sitta carolinensis [lagunae
Group]) (2)
- Reported Aug 30, 2020 08:08 by dave haupt
- Wood River Day Use Area, Klamath, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-121.9906425&<ll...>,-121.9906425
- Comments: "Gave twittering call, like a squeaky tire pealing out"

Bohemian Waxwing (Bombycilla garrulus) (1)
- Reported Aug 30, 2020 09:45 by Alexander Linton
- Goose Lake State Recreation Area (Oregon), Lake, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.3235781&<ll...>,-120.3235781
- Comments: "Flycatching with cedar waxwings, sallied right above us
showing off the reddish vent perfectly"

Bohemian Waxwing (Bombycilla garrulus) (1)
- Reported Aug 30, 2020 09:45 by Paul Linton
- Goose Lake State Recreation Area (Oregon), Lake, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.3235781&<ll...>,-120.3235781
- Comments: "Flycatching with cedar waxwings, sallied right above us
showing off the reddish vent perfectly"

American Pipit (Anthus rubescens) (1)
- Reported Aug 30, 2020 11:48 by Tim Shelmerdine
- Mark Hatfield Marine Science Center and Estuary Trail, Lincoln, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-124.0434766&<ll...>,-124.0434766
- Comments: "Heard only. Flew past, giving pipit call."

Pine Grosbeak (Pinicola enucleator) (1)
- Reported Aug 28, 2020 13:00 by Kent Coe
- Ivan Carper Pass between Mirror and Minam Lakes, Wallowa, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-117.3326817&<ll...>,-117.3326817
- Comments: "Watched this bird eating fruits of Lonicera utahensis in a
forest of grand fir, Douglas-fir, lodgepole pine, Engelmann spruce and
sub-alpine fir. Seemed to be by itself. Very near Minam Lake. An almost
robin sized bird, rather dull coloration, but with a wash of yellow around
the head. Beak was thick but stubby."

Brewer's Sparrow (Spizella breweri) (1)
- Reported Aug 31, 2020 08:00 by Jay Withgott
- Tualatin River NWR--Atfálat'i Unit, Washington, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-122.8312254&<ll...>,-122.8312254
- Comments: "Continuing in same spot, on western side of canal in
blackberries. Photos when i get home...."

Brewer's Sparrow (Spizella breweri) (1)
- Reported Aug 30, 2020 07:24 by Duke Tufty
- Tualatin River NWR--Atfálat'i Unit, Washington, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-122.8312254&<ll...>,-122.8312254
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "To the east of the Wetland Trail bordering the west side of
the NWR. In low brush associating with song sparrows. Conspicuous at
times, but often well hidden in the low brush. See photos."

Northern Waterthrush (Parkesia noveboracensis) (1)
- Reported Aug 28, 2020 06:30 by Kevin Spencer
- Sevenmile Guard Station, Klamath, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-122.0744153&<ll...>,-122.0744153
- Comments: "Surprised to hear this bird sing, twice; readied myself to
record, but alas, not a third time. Stayed unseen in dense riparian. I was
at this location the evening before, and did not hear calls nor song. Song
either moving up and down riparian corridor, or moving through. This area
has nesting habitat potential."

Nashville Warbler (Leiothlypis ruficapilla) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 30, 2020 09:16 by Laura Paulson
- Ona Beach SP, Lincoln, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-124.0740108&<ll...>,-124.0740108
- Comments: "Soft yellow underneath with gray head, complete white eye
ring. Initially found by Team Ona and was still in tree when I was there."

Nashville Warbler (Leiothlypis ruficapilla) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 30, 2020 08:09 by Team Ona
- Ona Beach SP, Lincoln, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-124.0740108&<ll...>,-124.0740108
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "will provide a photo and info later"

Northern Parula (Setophaga americana) (1)
- Reported Aug 30, 2020 15:12 by Caleb Centanni
- Goose Lake SP--“Vagrant Woods” (41.9940,-120.3204) BLBW in cottonwood and
willow, NOPA in hawthorn, Lake, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.320424&<ll...>,-120.320424
- Media: 7 Photos
- Comments: "(Rare): “unreported”: good photos and poor photos and digibin
photos!

— Caleb: “My first impression was: a warbler and it’s mostly cold-colored,
meaning gray and white. When I got a better view of it I saw a short but
broad white wing bar on a plump-bodied and fairly short-tailed warbler with
a longish pointed bill, yellow on the breast; totally gray head with 2 thin
but notable white eye arcs, bill hooked at tip with yellow lower mandible,
yellow throat separated from yellow breast by gray band. The bird had a
defined yellow-green patch on the upper back surrounded by gray coloration.
Wings dark except for limited white wing bar and light edging to tertials.
Belly and undertail coverts white. Undertail with a white band bordered by
a dark base and a dark tip. Upper tail grayish. Structure of the bird
appeared plump round bodied with decent sized round head, long pointed bill
slightly downcurving at end, fairly short cute tail.”
— Courtney notes strong contrast of upper breast bright yellow clean cut
separate from bright white of belly and utc. Gray plain head; same gray
upperside except for the neat clean-cut square/rectangle patch of
yellow-green-yellow on back. White eye arcs very hard to see and not
visible in most views unless bird closer to us. White in tail forms little
white windows when tail spread.

— continuing bird first found by non-Oregonians 2-days ago exactly here,
— but caleb and I didn’t find it yesterday morning-noon,
or at 1pm today,
— but we stopped here again now before leaving, to do a short cuddle nap,
we began cuddling and almost immediately Caleb spotted “warbler!” and a
second later, “northern Parula!” in cherries . (Turns out this is not a
good spot for a cuddle nap bc too much w birds ...)
NOPA Feeding in cherries shrubbery at (41.99391, -120.32038) for extended
time.
Spotted 3:12p,
then reappeared 3:50p for a while, again in same sunny-top of hawthorne,
then 4:05p continuously until 4:24pm, lots of great views of it foraging.
All until the last 5-min. the bird was seen in same black Hawthorne tree
shrub.
— perhaps we got recording of its call notes? Recorded a warbler calling
deeper in shrubbery just after losing sight of NOPA.
— note that “the NOPA in Hawthorne is really important: it LOVES this
tree:” spending all of its time in this tree when it has lots of other
trees it could be foraging in.
— 4:19p it moved into small red cherries shrubs .
— “it’s so yellow” — plump little bird.
— “Really likes black hawthorne! When seen in this tree foraged
methodically through branches, perching and probing underside of leaves and
calmly hopping about 6-in. to 1-ft to its next perch in same tree. Was in
hawthorne at least 3 separate times and when it left it dove back down into
deep brush.”

— Thanks Caleb for spotting refinding this NOPA! We had given up on finding
it, since didn’t yester, so weren’t here to look for it, just to be resting
see if something else good could be here, so almost like Caleb finding his
own rare warbler, to prove yes he can find them :-)

— “I should start a hugging-Courtney list and NOPA can be my first bird on
it.” — “except you prob have other birds right?” — “yeah but I hadn’t
started it yet.” — “and shouldn’t it be a cuddling-Courtney list?” — “if
you want.”

— Which was our favorite experience?
NOPA today with such great extended views amidst relaxation,
or BLBW yesterday with all that flurry of excitement of finding and
identifying that rarer bird?
Both of them new Oregon birds for both of us, both of them lifers for
Courtney, the BLBW also a lifer for Caleb, the NOPA is Courtney’s 400th
Oregon bird. — “We saw a Common Crane, a Blackburnian Warbler and a
Northern Parula in two days. That’s pretty cool.” — “And now we’re off to
chase a Summer Tanager.” — “Oh boy.”"

Northern Parula (Setophaga americana) (1)
- Reported Aug 28, 2020 07:38 by Joe Russell
- Goose Lake State Recreation Area (Oregon), Lake, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.3235781&<ll...>,-120.3235781
- Comments: "South side of campground entrance road, 100 meters east of the
pay kiosk. Mixed with a good flock of feeding robins, waxwings, warbling
vireos, in the fruiting trees (choke cherry?) lining the road. Warbler with
eye arcs, yellow back, wing bars, Photos."

Palm Warbler (Setophaga palmarum) (1)
- Reported Aug 30, 2020 09:45 by Alexander Linton
- Goose Lake State Recreation Area (Oregon), Lake, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.3235781&<ll...>,-120.3235781
- Comments: "Completely unexpected. Fairly furtive, foraging low down in
scrub along the margins of the swamp - bright yellow underparts, rufous
crown and brown upperparts. Emerged three times to give us good views, alas
never in sight long enough for a photo. Constantly wagging its tail during
foraging."

Palm Warbler (Setophaga palmarum) (1)
- Reported Aug 30, 2020 09:45 by Paul Linton
- Goose Lake State Recreation Area (Oregon), Lake, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.3235781&<ll...>,-120.3235781
- Comments: "Completely unexpected. Fairly furtive, foraging low down in
scrub along the margins of the swamp - bright yellow underparts, rufous
crown and brown upperparts. Emerged three times to give us good views, alas
never in sight long enough for a photo. Constantly wagging tail"

Black-throated Gray Warbler (Setophaga nigrescens) (1)
- Reported Aug 30, 2020 08:00 by Dave Trochlell
- Thief Valley Reservoir (Union Co.), Union, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-117.785368&<ll...>,-117.785368
- Comments: "Continuing. Heard calling and seen very briefly."

Summer Tanager (Piranga rubra) (1)
- Reported Aug 30, 2020 14:23 by Nolan Clements
- 42787 Oregon 402, Kimberly, Oregon, US (44.767, -119.637), Grant, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.6366285&<ll...>,-119.6366285
- Comments: "Only saw the male. First found around 2:50 in the poplar in
the northwest corner of the red house yard. Then flew north side into the
larger trees and sat for a few mins. It flew again into another clump of
leaves and I lost. While buying peaches (which are very good, would
recommend buying some) it flew south past the fruit stand. Pics"

Summer Tanager (Piranga rubra) (2)
- Reported Aug 30, 2020 13:30 by Cindy Zalunardo
- Thomas Orchards, Grant, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.635765&<ll...>,-119.635765
- Comments: "Rose red male and yellow female. Flying and perching in large
trees between fruit stand and the John Day River. Reported here for the
three previous days."

Summer Tanager (Piranga rubra) (1)
- Reported Aug 29, 2020 10:10 by Justin Cook
- Thomas Orchards, Grant, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.6362638&<ll...>,-119.6362638
- Media: 2 Photos