Date: 8/29/20 12:22 pm
From: Christian Walker <christian.icapadjuster...>
Subject: [texbirds] Dallas Co birding - Hairy Woodpecker, 14 shorebirds, early snipe & Yellow-headed Blackbird
Hi there,

Kit Dapprich and I worked hard in the 85-100 degree heat this morning, hitting Goat Island Preserve, Southside WTP, and Wolf Springs Rd in SE Dallas county.

It was very hot, and we did not really have any obvious passerine migrants. Not even an empid or Yellow Warbler.

But we did have good numbers of calling Pileated (at least 5) and 1 Hairy Woodpecker at Goat Island Preserve. We also did well on shorebirds, although we had to work very hard for most of them. Picking out shorebirds at the turf fields at Wold springs Rd was particularly difficult, but rewarding, with a little flock of 4 Wilson’s snipe, around 8 Buff-breasted Sandpipers, and a non-breeding adult Semipalmated Plover. Also had a Yellow-headed Blackbird here which is a little on the early side.

Had some good peep-watching at Southside with decent views of Least, Semipalmated, and Western Sandpipers. Other highlights here were Bald Eagle, at least 8 Swainson’s Hawks, and 2 Tricolored Herons, but we missed the Buff-breasted Sandpipers reported by others.

Good birding,

Christian Walker
<christian.icapadjuster...>
Independent Adjuster