Date: 8/29/20 10:39 am
From: Robert O'Brien <baro...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Sound file ID help
We have had these around off and on for decades, but starting last year
there was a virtual explosion of them.
They were everywhere. As Lars states, they love seeds. They climbed into
a large Japanese maple and rather than
grabbing one seed at a time they simply clipped off the stem so the seed
heads dropped to the ground. They pruned the entire tree.
Like many 'squirrels' they seem to bury seeds also. We find all sorts of
trees coming up at very strange locations, including pots that already have
plants
growing in them. Some are quite far from the tree where they grew. Their
numbers have dropped considerably this year for whatever reason but there
are still more than usual around, and they have just started their churping
recently. Very bird-like, perhaps a grouse?
They can be hard to see while chirping, making ID all the more difficult.
Bob OBrien Carver OR

On Sat, Aug 29, 2020 at 4:53 AM larspernorgren <larspernorgren...>
wrote:

> Tamiasciurus douglasi. The Chickaree or "Douglas"squirrel for those with a
> weakness for eponymics. They start clucking like this furtively in July and
> become more insistent as the cone cutting season progresses. I encourage
> everyone to put these arboreal mammals(all squirrels, not just Chickarees)
> on their eBird lists.
> They share with humans and BIRDS a remarkably high brain/body mass
> ratio , especially when compared to all the other native mammals. They eat
> the eggs and nestlings of birds at every opportunity. Gray squirrels and
> red squirrels compete with crossbills for the seeds of cones. In any given
> ecosystem squirrels surely have more impact on some bird species than many
> species of bird in that avian community.
> Our native red squirrels also demonstrate the same
> taxonomic/geographical relationship as birds: Chickaree in the
> Cascades/Coast Range, Spruce Squirrel in the Blue Mountains; Sooty Grouse
> in the Cascades/Coast Range, Dusky Grouse in the Blue Mountains, etc..

Join us on Facebook!