Date: 8/29/20 4:53 am
From: larspernorgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Sound file ID help
Tamiasciurus douglasi. The Chickaree or "Douglas"squirrel for those with a weakness for eponymics. They start clucking like this furtively in July and become more insistent as the cone cutting season progresses. I encourage everyone to put these arboreal mammals(all squirrels, not just Chickarees) on their eBird lists.      They share with humans and BIRDS a remarkably high brain/body mass ratio , especially when compared to all the other native mammals. They eat the eggs and nestlings of birds at every opportunity. Gray squirrels and red squirrels compete with crossbills for the seeds of cones. In any given ecosystem squirrels surely have more impact on some bird species than many species of bird in that avian community.        Our native red squirrels also demonstrate the same taxonomic/geographical relationship as birds: Chickaree in the Cascades/Coast Range, Spruce Squirrel in the Blue Mountains; Sooty Grouse in the Cascades/Coast Range, Dusky Grouse in the Blue Mountains, etc..Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: "Andy Thomas(Redacted sender "adt0611" for DMARC)" <dmarc-noreply...> Date: 8/28/20 10:51 PM (GMT-08:00) To: OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol...> Subject: [obol] Sound file ID help My phone app thinks this is a Pied-billed Grebe, but I presume that's unlikely, considering it was in the forest canopy and there wasn't a body of water nearby. (The Willamette was about 1/2 mile away.) I have gotten a couple of thoughts from others, but I'd like to know what you all think, if you care to share. Thanks.Andrew ThomasWest Linn (Clackamas)

Join us on Facebook!