Date: 8/28/20 9:05 am
From: Andy Thomas <dmarc-noreply...> (Redacted sender adt0611 for DMARC)
Subject: [obol] Re: Barn Swallow fly-out from night roost visible on weather radar
The small flock of Barn Swallows that I saw daily for most of the summer in my area may be among them; they left abruptly after August 13. As an aside, the only swallows I saw this year on my usual birding walk were Barn Swallows. This is in the open areas of a suburban park -- athletic fields, a dog area and a strip along the Willamette. In 2019 I saw very few swallows of any kind. In previous years VG Swallows were the default, with very few Barn, Tree or other Swallows.

Andrew ThomasWest Linn (Clackamas)

On Friday, August 28, 2020, 6:56:54 AM PDT, Paul Sullivan <paultsullivan...> wrote:

It’s happening again, the annual gathering of Barn Swallows at Grand Island in SE Yamhill county.  This morning I was able to see the signature of the birds fly-out from their roost on weather radar.  It shows up as green color.

6:01 AM  no color at that location

6:15 AM  a small burst of color

6:22 AM  a blob of color east of the Willamette River

6:29 AM  a larger blob over I-5

6:37 AM  the blob had moved east of I-5

Source: https://www.wunderground.com/radar/us/or/portland/rtx

The birds roost in cornfields in the area.  I will be going out some evenings at dusk to try to locate which fields they are using.  The birds will gather in the area for the next month, until frosty nights kill off mosquitoes and the farmers harvest the corn.  I will post more later.

Paul Sullivan

McMinnville

Join us on Facebook!