Date: 8/28/20 6:56 am
From: Paul Sullivan <paultsullivan...>
Subject: [obol] Barn Swallow fly-out from night roost visible on weather radar
It's happening again, the annual gathering of Barn Swallows at Grand Island
in SE Yamhill county. This morning I was able to see the signature of the
birds fly-out from their roost on weather radar. It shows up as green
color.

6:01 AM no color at that location

6:15 AM a small burst of color

6:22 AM a blob of color east of the Willamette River

6:29 AM a larger blob over I-5

6:37 AM the blob had moved east of I-5

Source: https://www.wunderground.com/radar/us/or/portland/rtx

The birds roost in cornfields in the area. I will be going out some
evenings at dusk to try to locate which fields they are using. The birds
will gather in the area for the next month, until frosty nights kill off
mosquitoes and the farmers harvest the corn. I will post more later.

Paul Sullivan

McMinnville

Join us on Facebook!