Date: 8/27/20 11:09 am
From: Edmund LeGrand <edmundlegrand...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Re: Help Needed - Bird Song Survey
I took it. Interesting project. My comment was that I'd like to see how
non-birders respond, because they don't have the biases that birders do.
The clicking of a Yellow Rail would not be the slightest bit boring to
me--it would get my heart racing. So I'm torn between saying the clicking
is very boring or very exciting.

One could do the same for views (or partial views) of birds. For most
people a Pileated Woodpecker would look (or sound) rather interesting. But
simply put a white patch on the wing and give it a big white bill (and a
monotonous call note) and it would be extremely attractive to birders.

One could use these consensus opinions (once one gets rid of the bias) as
useful descriptors for birding field guides.

Ed LeGrand
Crossville, TN