Date: 8/26/20 3:02 pm
From: Jack Chiles <chilesjack995...>
Subject: [texbirds] Tuesday morning bird census, Hagerman NWR, 08-25-20
It was a calm day, ideal for birding. We started the day looking for
shorebirds and found 11 species. There are now some nice sandbars that the
shorebirds are using but it requires a spotting scope to identify some of
the distant birds. Off the end of Plover we found a Piping Plover,
Semi-palmated Plovers, Baird's Sandpipers, Pectoral Sandpipers,
Semipalmated Sandpipers, and Spotted Sandpipers. There we also found 3
Least Terns and many Neotropic Cormorants. We located 5 Buff-breasted
Sandpipers 4 of which were on a mudflat north of Headquarters. Egrets and
Herons were plentiful, 263 Snowy Egrets, 151 Great Egrets, 31 Little Blue
Herons, 3 Tricolored Herons 34 Cattle Egrets and 1 Green Heron. There were
24 immature White Ibis. We saw a total of 10 Mississippi Kites. At Dead
Woman Pond we saw an Olive-sided Flycatcher, a Belted Kingfisher and a
Red-headed Woodpecker. We found a good number of Wood Ducks in the newly
flooded part of Mineral Marsh and at other locations with a total of 38 for
the day. We finished the day with 71 species.
https://ebird.org/checklist/S72812316
Jack Chiles, Texas master naturalist and volunteer, Hagerman NWR.

Join us on Facebook!