Date: 8/25/20 9:11 pm
From: Louisa Squires <bluemorpho1...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] Pajaro Dunes South now off limits!

 I agree, Jeff, that speaking to the person in decision making capacity is most likely to result in regaining access privileges at PD. Also, as a long time member and birder who mostly hangs out in the shadows, so to speak, I certainly and disappointingly would not end up on a select list of people allowed access. So, I also agree that a proposal should be presented that would provide access to a wider representation of birders.

Given the current restriction, it sounds like a successful negotiation would need to leave them with a measure of control for admittance, like a password, as has been suggested. (It seems a lot to ask if them to go down a looooong list of bird club members, many of whom don’t go to PD, so I’m more in favor of a simple password. Also, a password can be easily communicated to our respectful birder friends in other areas). So it seems like a favorable tactic is to graciously negotiate on behalf of an organized collective, like the SC Bird Club/Monterey Bay Audubon) that could communicate to members the conditions for access.

If there is to be a meeting, I expect it would be initiated and led by Bird Club/Audubon officers, since it is their responsibility to advocate for the best interest of the Club/Society and represent its members.

Louisa Squires

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 25, 2020, at 7:08 PM, Jeff Manker <fireweed8...> wrote:

I would be happy to speak to the management of Pajaro Dunes to find out what actually precipitated this closure in the first place and what their expectations are for resuming access. As I said before that may even be compelled by coastal access laws to open up anyway. They might not have the right to deny us to begin with.

I also think we should work for ANY birder to get in, not just some inner circle.

Anyone care to join me if I can get a meeting?

Jeff Manker