Date: 8/25/20 11:14 am
From: Shelly Plante <dmarc-noreply...> (Redacted sender Shelly.Plante for DMARC)
Subject: [texbirds] Re: Official October Big Sit Host Change
Thanks for the update on the international Big Sit! changing managers again. That's big news! To those who asked, yes, this is different from the Great Texas Birding Classic.

Traditionally, the Birding Classic is held in the Spring (April 15-May 15) and our Big Sit! category follows all of the same rules as the fall international Big Sit! on which we based our category (with permission from the New Haven Bird Club and BirdWatcher's Digest when we first implemented the category). It historically has had the 17-foot diameter circle. Pandemic times call for pandemic measures, though, so in order to comply with Texas ordinances and recommendations, we expanded our Big Sit! circle for this year's special fall version of the Birding Classic to allow for social distancing and easier spacing between participants. Our Big Sit! circle for the Fall 2020 Birding Classic is 50-feet. The 10 people per shift guidelines also refers to the state ordinances of outdoor gatherings no larger than 10 people at a time.

While the New Haven Bird Club's event is national in scope and therefore can't take everyone's ordinances into consideration for their rules, the Great Texas Birding Classic is Texas specific, allowing us to create modified rules this year that work best within the state guidelines as they read now.

I hope that helps clarify things. And to be clear, you can choose to do both this October. Register your Birding Classic team at www.birdingclassic.org<http://www.birdingclassic.org> by September 14 and also submit information for your Big Sit! circle to the international event. Much like Audubon Birdathons in the Spring, you can definitely complete both events simultaneously. If you have further questions, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Thanks,
Shelly
Shelly Plante
Nature Tourism Manager
Texas Parks and Wildlife Department-HQ
4200 Smith School Road, Austin, TX 78744
Office: 512-389-4500
Cell: 512-241-9163

Join us on Facebook!