Date: 8/24/20 7:38 pm
From: Richard H <dmarc-noreply-modpost...> (Redacted sender richardhermosillo4 for DMARC)
Subject: [texbirds] Re: possible Yellow-billed Loon, Lake Buchanan (Burnet Co.)
Many years ago I had a common loon and a Yellow billed Loon on Lake Balmoreah, on the same day. Others had reported it so we went out there to see it.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 24, 2020, at 1:44 PM, Justin Bosler <justin.bosler...> wrote:

Texbirds,

A "Common Loon" was submitted to eBird and accepted by a reviewer as that species on 16 August. Upon returning to within 50-miles of Lake Buchanan yesterday morning (on my way to Austin) I checked the local Rare Bird Alert output on the BirdsEye mobile app and noticed that a Common Loon was reported from a peculiar street address in Burnet County. That's odd - was it on one of the Highland lakes? I quickly opened the checklist link to discover that a loon had been observed and photo-documented by Lee Kothmann on the east side of Lake Buchanan except it didn't quite look right for a Common Loon sporting a massive bill, prominently angled lower mandible, and very pale horn to ivory tip. Other plumage and structural features are all but indistinguishable in the photos. Given the low quality of the images, it's impossible to definitively identify it.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S72574003?subID=S72574003

I hope to be out in a kayak later today or tomorrow to search for it. Please post if you have already searched or are planning on doing so.

Good luck!
Justin Bosler
Austin, Texas