Date: 8/24/20 2:56 pm
From: Ted Drozdowski <muddykayak...>
Subject: [texbirds] Re: Official October Big Sit Host Change
Yes, they are different events. This Official October Big Sit (now
sponsored by the New Haven Bird Club) is a separate event from the Great
Texas Birding Classic. It is always held the second weekend of October.
The Official Big Sit! circle is 17 feet in diameter, and according to the
New Haven Bird Club, it is still 17 feet. Over the years I have expanded
my circle a few feet here and there to accommodate larger groups, so long
as the view remains the same. With Covid-19 concerns this year, I'm sure
expanding the circle in order to social distance would be permissible,
although that is just my assumption as I am not affiliated with the New
Haven Bird Club. The Big Sit is only semi-competitive and primarily
supposed to be fun.

Ted Drozdowski

On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 4:34 PM Elaine Cowley <ecowley...> wrote:

> The rules I have read indicate a 50’ circle and a maximum of 10 people.
> This is on the Great Texas Birding Classic Facebook page and was also
> posted to Texbirds page.
>
> Are they two different things?
>
> https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/TXPWD/bulletins/29ac00b
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Aug 24, 2020, at 3:01 PM, Ted Drozdowski <muddykayak...> wrote:
>

> Hello,
> After nineteen years of hosting the Official Big Sit!, Bird Watcher's
> Digest has passed the hosting duties back to the New Haven Bird Club. The
> NHBC started the Big Sit in 1992. Then, in 2001, Bird Watcher's Digest
> became the host. I'm not sure why the hosting duties have changed hands,
> but the event will take place the weekend of October 10 and 11, 2020.
> The event is essentially the same as it's always been, the big
> difference now is that totals will be reported via ebird. All the
> information you need about the Big Sit can be found here:
> https://www.thebigsit.org/
>
> Of course, fitting as many people as possible into a 17 foot diameter
> circle may not be a great idea right about now. The hosts of the Big Sit
> have addressed Covid-19 concerns on their webpage.
>
> Good birding,
> Ted Drozdowski
> Waxahachie, Ellis County, Texas

Join us on Facebook!