Date: 8/24/20 2:46 pm
From: Tom Crabtree <tc...>
Subject: [obol] Re: On Darrell's Grosbeak
I don’t think it is a Pine Grosbeak. Pine Grosbeaks have a black, stubby bill. This bird’s bill is neither black nor stubby. PIGR’s should have a significant amount of gray in the wings and flanks. This bird lacks that. This bird has the hint of one wingbar, not two obvious ones with white edging to the tertials. Given the lack of streaking I would call this a Purple Finch with pox or some other disfiguring disease.

Tom Crabtree, Bend