Date: 8/24/20 12:22 pm
From: David Bailey <davidcbaileyoregon...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Pine Grosbeak origin
Here's a link to the checklist with Bill Tice's photos of the finch.
https://ebird.org/checklist/S72756341

I think it may be a PURPLE FINCH given the notched tail and lack of flank
and undertail streaking. That would be the likely finch for Thorton Creek
(right Darrel?) and most of the timbered Coast Range. The bird's plumage is
a mess. The possible wing bar may be a group of feathers in pin that have
yet to develop. The bird seems to have its neck hyper extended giving it an
odd posture and giving it an impression of a larger bird. There seems to be
some swelling by the eye and the much of the contour feathers of the body
are mussed as if the bird tangled with a cat or some other predator. I
would like to hear more from the observers as to their impressions in the
field. The bill is very pale in some photos, that may be accentuated by the
lighting, but is inconsistent with Pine Grosbeak as Hendrick noted.

David

David C. Bailey
Seaside, Oregon

On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 10:27 AM Hendrik Herlyn <hhactitis...> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> As one if the Lincoln Co. eBird reviewers, I looked at Bill's and Marty's
> photos last night and found that there were several inconsistencies with
> Pine Grosbeak. Overall, the bird doesn't look big enough; it does not have
> pronounced wingbars, and the shape and color of the bill is all wrong (PIGR
> should have a stubby, all dark bill; this bird has a horn-colored, more
> conical bill). Also, PIGRs have a lot of gray in the plumage, which is not
> present in this bird at all. Instead, it shows brownish-tan hues that are
> wrong for PIGR.
> I sent the pics to several other OR eBird reviewers and other experienced
> birders, and so far, all who responded agreed that this is not a PIGR, but
> most likely a somewhat aberant (perhaps diseased) House Finch.
> It would be nice to get additional, better photos, but at this point, I
> don't believe it is a Pine Grosbeak.
>
> Sorry to bw the one to rain on the parade! 😁
>
> Good birding
>
> Hendrik
>
> On Mon, Aug 24, 2020, 7:10 AM Darrel Faxon <t4c1x...> wrote:
>
>> There has been some discussion between those of us who saw the Pine
>> Grosbeak (Chuck Philo, Marty and Jeannie Bray, Bill Tice and myself) as to
>> where the bird may be from. It appears to be a hatch year bird not long out
>> of the nest, and all the red apparently has not developed in the plumage.
>> But the plumage most strongly resembles that shown by Sibley as typical of
>> the interior west population of the species. Marty has already posted a
>> photo on e-bird and I think Bill plans to do so later today. We would be
>> interested in hearing what others think in regard to this question.
>> Darrel

Join us on Facebook!