Date: 8/24/20 11:45 am
From: Justin Bosler <justin.bosler...>
Subject: [texbirds] possible Yellow-billed Loon, Lake Buchanan (Burnet Co.)
Texbirds,

A "Common Loon" was submitted to eBird and accepted by a reviewer as that
species on 16 August. Upon returning to within 50-miles of Lake Buchanan
yesterday morning (on my way to Austin) I checked the local Rare Bird Alert
output on the BirdsEye mobile app and noticed that a Common Loon was
reported from a peculiar street address in Burnet County. That's odd - was
it on one of the Highland lakes? I quickly opened the checklist link to
discover that a loon had been observed and photo-documented by Lee Kothmann
on the east side of Lake Buchanan except it didn't quite look right for a
Common Loon sporting a massive bill, prominently angled lower mandible, and
very pale horn to ivory tip. Other plumage and structural features are all
but indistinguishable in the photos. Given the low quality of the images,
it's impossible to definitively identify it.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S72574003?subID=S72574003

I hope to be out in a kayak later today or tomorrow to search for it.
Please post if you have already searched or are planning on doing so.

<https://ebird.org/checklist/S72574003?subID=S72574003>

Good luck!
Justin Bosler
Austin, Texas