Date: 8/24/20 6:35 am
From: Teresa Hertzel <teresa.hertzel...>
Subject: [obol] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Oregon Rare Bird Alert
*** Species Summary:

Pacific Golden-Plover (3 Multnomah)
Buff-breasted Sandpiper (2 Lincoln)
Snowy Egret (2 Multnomah)
Red-shouldered Hawk (elegans) (2 Union)
Merlin (1 Multnomah)
Prairie Falcon (1 Lane)
Bank Swallow (1 Lane)
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (1 Deschutes)
Northern Mockingbird (1 Lane)
Pine Grosbeak (1 Lincoln)

Pacific Golden-Plover (Pluvialis fulva) (1)
- Reported Aug 23, 2020 09:03 by David Mandell
- Smith and Bybee Lakes--Wetland Interlakes Trail, Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-122.7266407&<ll...>,-122.7266407
- Comments: "Circled twice repeatedly calling. Molting adult with black
spackling on breast and belly, whitish axillaries and golden tones to upper
wings and back. Two-noted abrupt call with some harsh qualities, punctuated
on second note."

Pacific Golden-Plover (Pluvialis fulva) (1)
- Reported Aug 23, 2020 08:55 by Ross Barnes-Rickett
- Smith and Bybee Lakes--Wetland Interlakes Trail, Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-122.7266407&<ll...>,-122.7266407
- Media: 1 Audio
- Comments: "Have audio, flyover smith lake east to west and then back.
Seen simultaneously by at least five observers from two widely spaced
groups. Brownish gold pluvialis sp., Ezra and I mostly ascertained species
ID through recognizing the 2-part repeated call. Recording and subsequent
reference clinched it."

Pacific Golden-Plover (Pluvialis fulva) (1)
- Reported Aug 23, 2020 08:30 by Michael Hagedorn
- Smith and Bybee Lakes--Wetland Interlakes Trail, Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-122.7266407&<ll...>,-122.7266407
- Comments: "Seen and ID'd by David Mandell as it flew over, I was standing
next to him as he noted the wing and call ID's. Another group with Ezra, it
might have been Ross, got a recording. Very quick thinking, that. Glad to
be standing next to the right people on this one, but definitely their ID."

Buff-breasted Sandpiper (Calidris subruficollis) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 23, 2020 10:40 by Steve Holzman
- Ona Beach SP, Lincoln, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-124.0740108&<ll...>,-124.0740108
- Media: 6 Photos
- Comments: "scoped from a distance not far from a couple greater
yellowlegs, then flew and circled the area dropping down for second before
flying up and away South down the beach out of sight. Photos taken while it
circled and paused momentarily before heading out. Small to medium sized
shorebird, diagnostic buffy coloration overall, round head with big eye
look, and lightly scaled pattern on wings."

Buff-breasted Sandpiper (Calidris subruficollis) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 23, 2020 10:40 by Rachel Holzman
- Ona Beach SP, Lincoln, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-124.0740108&<ll...>,-124.0740108
- Media: 6 Photos
- Comments: "scoped from a distance not far from a couple greater
yellowlegs, then flew and circled the area dropping down for second before
flying up and away South down the beach out of sight. Photos taken while it
circled and paused momentarily before heading out. Small to medium sized
shorebird, diagnostic buffy coloration overall, round head with big eye
look, and lightly scaled pattern on wings."

Snowy Egret (Egretta thula) (2)
- Reported Aug 23, 2020 18:06 by Christopher Hinkle
- Smith and Bybee Lakes--Wetland Interlakes Trail, Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-122.7266407&<ll...>,-122.7266407
- Comments: "Flying way out on Smith Lake seen together, tiny egrets with
mostly dark legs, bright yellow feet. Too far for face/bill details but the
size and feet were unmistakable."

Snowy Egret (Egretta thula) (2)
- Reported Aug 23, 2020 18:06 by Mary Lynn "Em" Scattaregia
- Smith and Bybee Lakes--Wetland Interlakes Trail, Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-122.7266407&<ll...>,-122.7266407
- Comments: "Flying way out on Smith Lake seen together, tiny egrets with
mostly dark legs, bright yellow feet. Too far for face/bill details but the
size and feet were unmistakable."

Red-shouldered Hawk (elegans) (Buteo lineatus elegans) (1)
- Reported Aug 23, 2020 08:45 by Dave Trochlell
- Ladd Marsh WMA--Schoolhouse Pond, Union, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-117.9520051&<ll...>,-117.9520051
- Comments: "At about noon, I heard a raptor emit a loud and clear series
of "Keeyuur! Keeyuur! Keeyuur! screams as I walked the perimeter road south
of the refuge technician's house. I was certain that this was a RSHA,
though at that point I'd had no sighting of the bird."

Red-shouldered Hawk (elegans) (Buteo lineatus elegans) (1)
- Reported Aug 23, 2020 13:00 by Dave Trochlell
- Wilkinson Lane stop, Union, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-117.9475811&<ll...>,-117.9475811
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "This was a beautiful adult elegans RSHA with a distinctive
white-spotted, dark reddish-brown mantle and wing coverts, a black and
white-banded tail, bright rufous underparts and "shoulder", and pale
barring on its cinnamon-colored belly. The bird made its very loud,
diagnostic "Keeyuur! Keeyuur! Keeyuur! call several times. Photos."

Merlin (Falco columbarius) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 23, 2020 09:25 by Anne Tucker
- Sandy River Delta Park, Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-122.3731899&<ll...>,-122.3731899
- Comments: "Perched on a branch maybe twenty feet above me so I got a good
view of the bird. The Merlin had a broad, lightly streaked breast white
supercilum above eye was obvious. Also light gray cap. Yellow feet were
exposed. It’s tail was hidden but it was not long. From a distance it sat
like a kestrel . Habitat was perfect for this bird."

Prairie Falcon (Falco mexicanus) (1)
- Reported Aug 23, 2020 06:25 by Roger Robb
- Fern Ridge WMA--Royal Ave. area (general), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-123.2574606&<ll...>,-123.2574606
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "On dry mudflats west of observation tower. Brownish back,
thin moustachial stripe, white supercilium. Black axillaries apparent in
flight."

Bank Swallow (Riparia riparia) (2)
- Reported Aug 23, 2020 06:25 by Roger Robb
- Fern Ridge WMA--Royal Ave. area (general), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-123.2574606&<ll...>,-123.2574606
- Comments: "Small brown swallow with complete brown breast band, white
throat, pale rump & back. Buzzy call."

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (Polioptila caerulea) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 23, 2020 07:09 by Donald Sutherland
- Hatfield Lake, Deschutes, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-121.198554&<ll...>,-121.198554
- Media: 2 Photos

Northern Mockingbird (Mimus polyglottos) (1)
- Reported Aug 23, 2020 08:01 by John Sullivan
- Alton Baker Park, Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-123.0640411&<ll...>,-123.0640411
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Seen briefly in small tree at west end of the praire. Chased
by a Scrub Jay, flew 100 yards and dove into blackberry brambles. Unable to
relocate. Unmistakable gray, black and white. Slightly smaller than Scrub
Jay. Large white wing-flashes. Long, dark tail with white outers."

Pine Grosbeak (Pinicola enucleator) (1)
- Reported Aug 23, 2020 16:45 by Team Ona
- Thornton Creek (restricted access), Lincoln, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-123.8360188&<ll...>,-123.8360188
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Poor photo for documentation purposes only and will provide
additional info later."

Join us on Facebook!