Date: 8/23/20 9:44 pm
From: Hendrik Herlyn <hhactitis...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Merganser - Red-Breasted or Common?
Hi Mike,

Like you suspected, it is a female Common Merganser - the expected species
on the Metolius (in OR, Red-breasted Mergansers are mostly restricted to
the coast, and usually only from late fall to spring). Your photos show the
clear, contrasting line on the neck between the reddish head and gray
breast (in RBME, the transition is blurred). And a RBME would show a more
ragged, shaggy crest.

Happy Birding!

Hendrik

--