Date: 8/21/20 4:26 pm
From: JAMES SPEICHER <jugornought...>
Subject: [MDBirding] VA bird
While doing trail maintenance yesterday I came upon a bird that could only
be described as drab and sparrow sized. It's behavior was it's most notable
feature. Foraging along the path ahead of me, as I advanced it flushed, but
only moving ahead on the trail. This happened ~6 times b4 the bird finally
flew off into the understory away from the path. No bins, no camera. Bird
did not vocalize.

The recent reports of Worm-eating warbler led me to read Audubon and then
Cornell descriptions of it, one of which seemed to point instead to
Swainson's. Shenandoah National Park's Thornton River trail is adjacent to
this stream. Also, it seemed to me that the bird was bobbing it's tail, tho
in the dim light a side to side wobble is also possible....

In MD according to the Yellow Book, Swainson's would be rare after July.

Jim S