Date: 8/21/20 7:37 am
From: Mark Lockwood <mwlockwood402...>
Subject: [texbirds] Balmorhea Lake - 20 August
Balmorhea Lake continues to shrink at a rapid pace. It has probably about
half the surface area of when it is full. I made a short stop over
yesterday morning and photographed what has to be a fifth juv.
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron. Unlike the four that I photographed a week ago
this bird has a few wispy filaments on its crown. This would seem to
indicate local breeding, which is well west of the typical breeding range
and would represent a first for the central Trans-Pecos. I am assuming a
bird like this one loses these remnant downy feathers fairly quickly and
would not migrate or wander too far in this condition, but I don't really
know if that is true. Interesting in any case. If you are interested I
have places an image on my Flickr page at:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/70194759@N05/

Mark Lockwood

Alpine, Texas

Join us on Facebook!