Date: 8/21/20 5:58 am
From: Teresa Hertzel <teresa.hertzel...>
Subject: [obol] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Oregon Rare Bird Alert
*** Species Summary:

Common Goldeneye (2 Lake, 2 Linn)
White-winged Dove (1 Clackamas)
Broad-tailed Hummingbird (1 Baker)
Marbled Godwit (2 Multnomah)
Franklin's Gull (1 Columbia)
Common Tern (1 Benton)
Green Heron (2 Hood River)
Gray Flycatcher (1 Union)
Black Phoebe (2 Lake)
Red-eyed Vireo (1 Union)
Red Crossbill (Lodgepole Pine or type 5) (1 Wallowa)
Great-tailed Grackle (20 Multnomah, 1 Washington)

Common Goldeneye (Bucephala clangula) (2)
- Reported Aug 18, 2020 09:22 by Jerred Seveyka
- Flagstaff Lake, Hart mountain, OR, Lake, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.8014424&<ll...>,-119.8014424
- Comments: "Bright gold eye, dark head, long white wing patches across
wings"

Common Goldeneye (Bucephala clangula) (2)
- Reported Aug 18, 2020 09:22 by Coral Gehrke
- Flagstaff Lake, Hart mountain, OR, Lake, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.8014424&<ll...>,-119.8014424
- Comments: "Bright gold eye, dark head, long white wing patches across
wings"

Common Goldeneye (Bucephala clangula) (7)
- Reported Aug 20, 2020 08:46 by Kara Jakse
- Willamette National Forest, Foster US-OR 44.39411, -122.00150, Linn,
Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-122.001498&<ll...>,-122.001498
- Comments: "Gradually sloped forehead unlike the steep slope of Barrow’s."

Common Goldeneye (Bucephala clangula) (7)
- Reported Aug 20, 2020 08:46 by Jan Pleskovitch
- Willamette National Forest, Foster US-OR 44.39411, -122.00150, Linn,
Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-122.001498&<ll...>,-122.001498
- Comments: "Gradually sloped forehead unlike the steep slope of Barrow’s."

White-winged Dove (Zenaida asiatica) (6)
- Reported Aug 20, 2020 10:29 by Marty Wallauer
- Yard, Clackamas, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-122.5305176&<ll...>,-122.5305176
- Comments: "2 Black Capped Chickadees and 4 Chestnut Backed Chickadees in
bird bath."

Broad-tailed Hummingbird (Selasphorus platycercus) (1)
- Reported Aug 20, 2020 07:53 by Craig Tumer
- Sumpter Valley, Baker, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-118.169502&<ll...>,-118.169502
- Comments: "While doing field work today, two hummingbirds were attracted
to my orange field vest. The first was a female Black-chinned Hummingbird,
and the second was a real surprise - an immature BROAD-TAILED HUMMINGBIRD.
The BTHU approached within approximately 6 feet, and I was able to observe
it clearly for nearly a minute while it hovered nearby and perched in a
nearby shrub before it zipped off. This hummingbird appeared to be
approximately the same size or slightly larger than the BCHU I had seen
earlier in the morning (too big for a Rufous of Calliope Hummingbird). It
had a relatively straight bill, buffy flanks and undertail, an all-green
back, and limited rufous color on the outer tail feathers."

Marbled Godwit (Limosa fedoa) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 20, 2020 16:48 by john bishop
- Broughton Beach, Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-122.6152539&<ll...>,-122.6152539
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Long legged wader w very long upturned bill w pink base.
Watched for about 5 min. At gull roost standing just a little ways in the
water, not worried about a large group of people beaching it up nearby. But
when we payed attention to it, considerably further than that group, it
flushed, flew east, then back west and out over the river, then circled
back and was headed eastward on the airport side of the beach."

Marbled Godwit (Limosa fedoa) (1)
- Reported Aug 20, 2020 16:32 by Meg Ruby
- Broughton Beach, Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-122.6152539&<ll...>,-122.6152539
- Comments: "A single large sandpiper at the water’s edge of Broughton
Beach. The bird had a long thin and slightly upturned bill with light
tones near the face which turned darker toward the tip. Body had a warm
rose or Buffy cast wash over breast and slightly spangled pattern to the
feathers on the back. Good looks through my scope and a few pictures. The
bird flew to the south and west."

Franklin's Gull (Leucophaeus pipixcan) (1)
- Reported Aug 20, 2020 12:45 by Andrew S. Aldrich
- Sauvie Island--The Narrows, Columbia, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-122.8162479&<ll...>,-122.8162479
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing. Smaller than RBGU with dark mantle, eye arcs.
Photos."

Common Tern (Sterna hirundo) (5) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 19, 2020 07:30 by Duncan Evered
- Willamette Park, Benton, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-123.2462597&<ll...>,-123.2462597
- Comments: "07:56 5 ads flying low over Willamette Landing to W. Seen
from about 150 feet in perfect light. Classic Sterna terns. Heard one
grating "kee-eer" call, diagnostic from FOTE or ARTE. Same flock seen at
Philomath STP within 10-15 mins (per Doug Robinson)."

Green Heron (Butorides virescens) (2)
- Reported Aug 20, 2020 13:02 by Sally Hill
- Hood River mouth, Hood River, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-121.5063858&<ll...>,-121.5063858
- Comments: "On western side of west channel at Hood River mouth."

Green Heron (Butorides virescens) (2)
- Reported Aug 20, 2020 13:02 by Vickie Buck
- Hood River mouth, Hood River, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-121.5063858&<ll...>,-121.5063858
- Comments: "On western side of west channel at Hood River mouth."

Gray Flycatcher (Empidonax wrightii) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 20, 2020 09:36 by Nolan Clements
- Thief Valley Reservoir (Union Co.), Union, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-117.785368&<ll...>,-117.785368
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "First found in the shrubs where the willows grow over the road
at the main cottonwood grove around 10:20. Watched it fly down to the pull
out and eventually back north to hawthorns closer to the road to the boat
ramp where Trent and I lost it around 11:30. Empid with complete eye-ring,
long, stout bill, and overall dull plumage. Constantly tail pumping. 5th
county record. Pics."

Black Phoebe (Sayornis nigricans) (2)
- Reported Aug 19, 2020 06:43 by Coral Gehrke
- Goose Lake State Recreation Area (Oregon), Lake, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.3235781&<ll...>,-120.3235781
- Comments: "Flycatcher with dark gray/black back, head, and upper chest
and a white belly. Very good looks as it landed directly above us and then
flew nearby for a while."

Black Phoebe (Sayornis nigricans) (2)
- Reported Aug 19, 2020 06:43 by Jerred Seveyka
- Goose Lake State Recreation Area (Oregon), Lake, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.3235781&<ll...>,-120.3235781
- Comments: "Flycatcher with dark gray/black back, head, and upper chest
and a white belly. Very good looks as it landed directly above us and then
flew nearby for a while."

Red-eyed Vireo (Vireo olivaceus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 20, 2020 09:36 by Nolan Clements
- Thief Valley Reservoir (Union Co.), Union, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-117.785368&<ll...>,-117.785368
- Media: 5 Photos
- Comments: "Seen in the main cottonwood grove just by the pull out around
10:10. Pics"

Red Crossbill (Lodgepole Pine or type 5) (Loxia curvirostra (type 5)) (5)
- Reported Aug 20, 2020 08:00 by Arch McCallum
- West Fork of the Wallowa River Trail, Wallowa, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-117.2190395&<ll...>,-117.2190395
- Media: 1 Audio
- Comments: "Flight calls have distinctive two-voiced sonograms, best seen
after 0:33 on streaming sonogram. This cut is discussed at
http://www.archmccallum.com/Ear/SongADay/DayPage.0820.html."

Great-tailed Grackle (Quiscalus mexicanus) (2)
- Reported Aug 20, 2020 14:00 by Julia Richert
- 3395 SE Pepperwood Way, Hillsboro US-OR 45.49561, -122.93257, Washington,
Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-122.932573&<ll...>,-122.932573
- Comments: "One male and one female. Pictures are not great, but easily
identifiable in person. Seen by multiple people today."

Great-tailed Grackle (Quiscalus mexicanus) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 20, 2020 17:13 by Nick Mrvelj
- Broughton Beach, Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-122.6152539&<ll...>,-122.6152539
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing male and female. The male was walking along the
beach when I arrived. An all black bird, it was like a Brewer’s Blackbird
that had been enlarged, and had its bill and tail significantly lengthened.
This latter feature was thickest near the tip, presenting like a folded up
fan of sorts. The female was a little more secretive, and mainly hid within
a Black Cottonwood. The male perched in said tree, and we could hear the
female vocalizing. After a short while, we all caught a glimpse of the
female near the male. She too, had a piercing, pale iris, but was smaller
than the male. Her upperparts were warmer, and paler, and her warm face
pattern recalled images of a Rusty Blackbird without the rufous coloration.
The two flew off together toward the brambles the last I saw them."

Great-tailed Grackle (Quiscalus mexicanus) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 20, 2020 17:08 by Jack Maynard
- Broughton Beach, Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-122.6152539&<ll...>,-122.6152539
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing. Male only. Pics. Then the female showed up. Both
birds perched in the cottonwood trees halfway between the piers and the
gull spit and then flew together to the west. Thanks for Andy Frank for
finding and reporting this and also to John Bishop and Meg Ruby for
pointing us toward the bird on site."

Great-tailed Grackle (Quiscalus mexicanus) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 20, 2020 17:08 by Kelli Van Norman
- Broughton Beach, Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-122.6152539&<ll...>,-122.6152539
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing. Male only. Pics. Then the female showd up."

Great-tailed Grackle (Quiscalus mexicanus) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 20, 2020 17:06 by Jill Punches
- Broughton Beach, Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-122.6152539&<ll...>,-122.6152539
- Comments: "Male and female seen east of first pier. Yellow eyes, long
tail. Photos"

Great-tailed Grackle (Quiscalus mexicanus) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 20, 2020 16:48 by john bishop
- Broughton Beach, Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-122.6152539&<ll...>,-122.6152539
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing, make and female pair vocalizing softly to each
other"

Great-tailed Grackle (Quiscalus mexicanus) (2)
- Reported Aug 20, 2020 16:32 by Meg Ruby
- Broughton Beach, Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-122.6152539&<ll...>,-122.6152539
- Comments: "Good looks at a pair, male and female, black and brownblack,
flat heads, long billed with slender long bodies. The birds about 15-18“.
Male bird was bigger with long deep keeled tail and bright yellow eye about
17 “ long. Male had had dark back and wings, and paler breast and neck.
Female was lighter colored and smaller with darker wings dark brown. Pale
throat and slender. Both seen moving thru and foraging in the vegetation
above the shore just after the aging pilings from the parking lot. east
thru willow, blackberry and young cottonwoods, eating insects and
blackberries.I did not hear any vocalizations."

Great-tailed Grackle (Quiscalus mexicanus) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 20, 2020 16:32 by Bobby O
- Broughton Beach, Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-122.6152539&<ll...>,-122.6152539
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Pictures"

Great-tailed Grackle (Quiscalus mexicanus) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 20, 2020 16:02 by Adam Nashban
- Broughton Beach, Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-122.6152539&<ll...>,-122.6152539
- Comments: "Continuing birds found by Andy Frank. Male and female."

Great-tailed Grackle (Quiscalus mexicanus) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 20, 2020 14:33 by Anne Tucker
- Broughton Beach, Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-122.6152539&<ll...>,-122.6152539
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Large Black male with very obvious long tail female is more
brown to light brown with golden eyes long tail"

Great-tailed Grackle (Quiscalus mexicanus) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 20, 2020 11:00 by Anonymous User
- Broughton Beach, Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-122.6152539&<ll...>,-122.6152539
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "pic of adult male"

Great-tailed Grackle (Quiscalus mexicanus) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 20, 2020 10:32 by Leonard Barrett
- Broughton Beach, Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-122.6152539&<ll...>,-122.6152539
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Adult male and female. Seen by many in east parking lot.
Photos of both."

Great-tailed Grackle (Quiscalus mexicanus) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 20, 2020 10:32 by April Brown
- Broughton Beach, Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-122.6152539&<ll...>,-122.6152539
- Comments: "Large shiny blackbird, with striking yellow eyes. One Male,
and one Female. Long fan/keel shaped tail. Male very iridescent with purple
sheen. Female less iridescent and more brown/cinnamon color. Seen by
others. Bad photo soon."

Great-tailed Grackle (Quiscalus mexicanus) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 20, 2020 10:30 by Audrey Addison
- Broughton Beach, Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-122.6152539&<ll...>,-122.6152539
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Male and female seen in main beach parking lot with several
birders. Will add photo."

Great-tailed Grackle (Quiscalus mexicanus) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 20, 2020 10:29 by Erik Bergman
- Broughton Beach, Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-122.6152539&<ll...>,-122.6152539
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "rarity first reported today by Andy Frank. Male and female
patrolled the grassy area around the parking lot to the delight of a
handful of birders who had been alerted by text and mail to their presence.
The glossy male made the local Brewers blackbirds look undersized and
underdressed."

Great-tailed Grackle (Quiscalus mexicanus) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 20, 2020 10:23 by Andrew S. Aldrich
- Broughton Beach, Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-122.6152539&<ll...>,-122.6152539
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing m/f pair east of parking lot. Photos."

Great-tailed Grackle (Quiscalus mexicanus) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 20, 2020 10:21 by Jenny Jones
- Broughton Beach, Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-122.6152539&<ll...>,-122.6152539
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Male and female. Large grackles with large tails, pale eyes.
Found by Andy Frank. Photos."

Great-tailed Grackle (Quiscalus mexicanus) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 20, 2020 10:15 by Mary Lynn "Em" Scattaregia
- Broughton Beach, Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-122.6152539&<ll...>,-122.6152539
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Andy Frank found a male this morning, 2nd county record. When
we arrived the male was strutting around the parking lot, literally the
first bird we laid eyes on, probably my easiest chase ever. As we were
parking I spotted a second grackle, a female, perched in a tree along the
north side."

Great-tailed Grackle (Quiscalus mexicanus) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 20, 2020 10:15 by Christopher Hinkle
- Broughton Beach, Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-122.6152539&<ll...>,-122.6152539
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Andy Frank found a male this morning, 2nd county record. When
we arrived the male was strutting around the parking lot, literally the
first bird we laid eyes on, probably my easiest chase ever. As we were
parking I spotted a second grackle, a female, perched in a tree along the
north side."

Great-tailed Grackle (Quiscalus mexicanus) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 20, 2020 10:11 by Duke Tufty
- Broughton Beach, Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-122.6152539&<ll...>,-122.6152539
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "First seen by Andy Frank. Adult male and female birds. Both
with long, distinctive tails and yellow eyes. Male was particularly dark
and sheeny. Poor photos attached captured using iPhone (normal birding
gear was not with me since this was an unexpected opportunity)."

Great-tailed Grackle (Quiscalus mexicanus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 20, 2020 08:47 by Andy Frank
- Broughton Beach, Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-122.6152539&<ll...>,-122.6152539
- Media: 7 Photos
- Comments: "Great-tailed Grackle at Broughton beach. On beach seen from
NE corner main parking lot. Add photos"

Join us on Facebook!