Date: 8/1/20 1:07 pm
From: Lee Schoenewe <lschoe...>
Subject: [ia-bird] RNGR hotspot & Grr-8 shutdown in July
After receiving indications of Red-necked Grebes in courtship displays at
the end of April at Jemerson Slough in Dickinson County, Skip Perkins and I
stopped by there yesterday. We found five adults and three mostly grown
juveniles so that was the place in northwest Iowa for these birds this year.
We have not found any indication of resident grebes at Trumbull Lake this
year except for PBG's.

Our collaborative Big Year did not add a single new species to the list in
July and we stay at 259. We really are not missing any needed nesting
species so here we go into August and the start of fall migration. May
post-breeding dispersals of unusual birds and wacky weather patterns give us
unexpected opportunities for additions to the list. We worked through more
than twenty Semi-palmated Sandpipers yesterday at the Little Swan Lake
drawdown but could not find a Western. Very good habitat will keep us
coming back there! Tell any good birds you see that we are looking for
them!

Lee A Schoenewe
Spencer

Find out more here: https://bit.ly/2zCJMrO