Date: 8/1/20 8:24 am
From: Judy Kestner <jkestner...>
Subject: [texbirds] Re: texbirds Digest V9 #200
I was cutting my husband's hair on the back patio last evening when I
heard a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher. Almost cut his ear off in my
excitement!

Nice to have them back.

Judy Kestner
Calallen (NW Corpus Christi)

-----------------------------------------From: "G. Joan Holt"
From: Noreen Baker
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2020 00:34:00 -0500
Subject: [texbirds] Update on Red-billed Tropicbird

Texbirders,
As some of you may have seen from posts on other lists, my family and
were in Port Aransas over the weekend and were fortunate to find a
Red-billed Tropicbird resting on the beach Sunday morning after
Hurricane Hanna had passed through the area. At the time I was not
able to
post to Texbirds but contacted Eric Carpenter to get the word out in
case
anyone else had the chance to try for the bird. I later learned that
folks
who did come out were unable to refind it. As we left the beach,
several
other folks had noticed the bird and at least one person was trying
contact the local animal rescue facility in case the bird needed
help. Out
of curiosity, I contacted the facility today to see if they had
picked up
the bird, and if they had, to see how it was doing. The employee I
spoke to
indicated that they had indeed received numerous calls about the bird
but
were also unable to find it when they went out to look for it. They
did
however speak to one lady who was keeping an eye on the bird who said
it
had gotten up and was moving around a bit, and that at one point she
was
distracted for a couple of minutes and when she looked back, it was
gone.
So it seems like it was unhurt and as soon as it rested enough, it
wasted
no time in heading back out to sea, which I was happy to hear. I did
eventually get the sighting in eBird with photos (link below in case
anyone
is interested). I'm not sure about the age of the bird, but it
appeared to
be somewhere between juvenile and adult.

[1]https://ebird.org/tx/checklist/S71887452 [2]

Thanks,
Noreen Baker
Austin, TX

------------------------------

From: "Curt Harwerth" (Redacted sender
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2020 01:10:29 -0500
Subject: [texbirds] BG gnatcatcher

As this was a topic recently, I thought I would chime in. I’m in
extreme North Bexar county. I keep monthly lists for my neighborhood
for the last 3 years. I get them Sep and Oct and then March/April/May.
I had one today. This is the first one I’ve seen in July in my area.

Curt Harwerth
San Antonio

Sent from my iPhone

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2020 23:59:35 +0000 (UTC)
From: "Barbara Pankratz" (Redacted sender "bbpankratz" for DMARC)
Subject: [texbirds] Re: Blue Gray Gnatcatcher

were easily 30+ gnatcatchers along the road and fence row. I had
never seen anything like it, and contacted a local birder there asking
about it. He said he too had seen it like that before and guesses it
to be a pre-migration event. It was something to see!
Barbara Pankratz
On Tuesday, July 28, 2020, 01:02:57 PM CDT, Charmaine Ganson wrote:

We have them here in Leakey all year round and they breed here.

Charmaine Ganson

Leakey, TX

- From: Linda Valdez
- To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
- Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2020 11:01:03 -0500

As I was getting dressed to go out this morning, I saw a very small
bird that
was all gray with white outer-tail feathers. To me it looked like a
Blue Gray
Gnatcatcher. I know we have them here in the Hill Country all winter,
is it to
early for them to be here?
ldv
Linda D Valdez
ldvaldez@xxxxxxxxxxx

------------------------------

From: Timothy Brush
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2020 22:26:02 +0000

Can be migrants or maybe wandering birds this early. They do breed
locally across STX and I gather more commonly in the Hill Country.
Tim Brush
Edinburg, TX
Get Outlook for Android< [3]https://aka.ms/ghei36 [4]>
________________________________
From: Joseph Kennedy
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2020 17:28:29 -0500

By the end of August there are good numbers of gnatcatchers migrating
through Smith Point at the hawk watch. One of the very first land
bird
migrants that are out in the open.

--
Joseph C. Kennedy
on Buffalo Bayou in West Houston

------------------------------

From: Susan Schaezler
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2020 17:31:01 -0500

I pulled up 22 yr of eBird public data from Warbler Woods Bird
Sanctuary and found unexpected results

Susan Schaezler
WarblerWoods.org, [5]http://ebird.org/ebird/hotspot/L213585?yr=cur
[6]
501(c)(3) Cibolo/Schertz/Guadalupe County
Life member TOS, SAAS, TAS

> On Jul 28, 2020, at 11:19 AM, Dan Smith wrote:
>
> The distribution map for Blue-gray Gnatcatcher in Birds of the
World Online, shows the Hill Country to be within the species’
breeding range and year-round presence being just south of about San
Antonio. I should think finding one in the area at just about any time
is quite possible.

> Dan Smith
> <dan...>
> 512-451-2632
> [7]http://www.wordsmithofaustin.com [8]
>
> "Merchants have no country. The mere spot they stand on does not
constitute so strong an attachment as that from which they draw their
gains.” Thomas Jefferson, 1814.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2020 03:09:28 +0000 (UTC)
From: "Rhandy Helton" (Redacted sender "rjhelton" for DMARC)

I estimated 100 gnatcatchers yesterday on my ebird visit. Justin
Bosler was passing through the area and he estimated 150. The fence
line along the road into the Junction WTP was cleared a couple years
ago but a large Pecan was left as were a couple of mesquites and
acacia further down. These trees were loaded with gnatcatchers. I have
noticed this phenomenon before, usually later in the summer. The ponds
attract a multitude of small insect i.e. midges, gnats etc. as not
much impounded water in Kimble County. I think the birds are getting
fat before migrating out later. I don't see gnatcatchers here in
winter. Yesterday I also had a Black-capped Vireo along the fence line
and in the large pecan, and not exactly its habitat.
Rhandy J. HeltonJunction, Texas

------------------------------

End of texbirds Digest V9 #200
******************************