Date: 8/1/20 8:22 am
From: robert merideth <robertmerideth...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]Purple Martin Roost
External Email

Liz Payne and I observed on 7/31 what we estimated to be 100-200 Purple Martins coming in to roost in a tree inside the wall of a private residence on the 4000 block of Wingate (south of Golf Links, just west of the Pantano Wash). The birds began gathering in the area around 7:30pm, flying above us and alighting on the nearby utility wires. About 7:45 they began flocking and swirling around the roost tree, and after several landings and takeoffs, finally settled in. A palm tree on the west side of Wingate is adjacent to the wall of the residence. Several dirt pullouts along the east side of Wingate allow for quiet observation without disturbing birds or homeowners.