Date: 8/1/20 6:19 am
From: Fred Kaluza <fkaluza...>
Subject: Re: [birders] Essay on Swifts and an OT connection

Great article John and thanks for posting.  I too as a child recall being frustrated by “noisy birds” that would never find a perch so I could better assess them.  Summer birds like Nighthawks and Swallows never seemed interested in sitting still.  To this day I marvel at photos of “inverse birds” like flying Owls or flying Turkeys or perching Martins and nesting Nighthawks.  We so often are otherwise accustomed to knowing them only in their more familiar postures.

On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 11:57 AM -0400, "John Farmer" <ajf-jlf...> wrote:

A lyrical essay on Swifts in today's NYT (here) by Helen Macdonald, the author of H is for Hawk, may interest some birders.  It set me to wondering if I may be the only person on this listserve who had not heard of the swifts' "vesper flight" that she details.

I also question her statement that "…As soon as they tip themselves free of the nest hole, they start flying, and they will not stop flying for two or three years, bathing in rain, feeding on airborne insects, winnowing fast and low to scoop fat mouthfuls of water from lakes and rivers."  Despite the fact that she provides references to many aspects of the vesper flights of Europe's Common Swifts, that sentence seems to spring from the common folklore that portrayed swifts as spending their entire lives on the wing.  Does anyone know if there is any research to back up that quoted statement?

And here I'm definitely going OT, but IMHO, the final paragraph in Macdonald's essay is a haunting, if unintended, link to another piece in today's NYT - the poignant swan song of the late Congressman John Lewis.

JF

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/001a01d6668a%2427cdb140%24776913c0%<24...>

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org