Date: 7/31/20 10:36 pm
From: jm_danzenbaker_alt via groups.io <jm_danzenbaker_alt=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] Looking, Unsuccessfully, For a Wood Duck in Santa Clara County on 7/30/2020
Apologies for not reporting anywhere, and for being late to noticing the queries, but Lee and I saw an eclipse male Wood Duck at the Sunnyvale WTP on 22 July.  It was in the creek where you first start walking on the main trail, as if heading for the radar tower to look for phalaropes (which is what we were doing).  Specifically, it was where the trail first bends to the right, maybe 100 yards from the beginning where you initially enter the trails and turn right to head out.  It was on the mud with a group of loafing Mallards.  The time was mid-morning.  We looked but didn't see the bird when we returned.

Even though I'm calling it a Wood Duck, I have a nagging feeling it could have been a Mandarin, as it had a very narrow eye ring and a thin white postocular line extending well back and curving downwards.

Mike Danzenbaker
Mtn View

View/Reply Online (#22095): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/22095
-=-=-