Date: 7/31/20 7:52 pm
From: John Luther <aplomado-falcon...>
Subject: [countybirders] Trinity
Hi All,
Took a trip up north leaving home Thursday (July 30) afternoon and had a nice encounter with the Catbird in Humboldt Co at Blue Lake in the evening.  I then took off for Trinity Co arriving at Trinity Center at about !0:30 PM for sleep under the stars along the edge of the lake where there were no people.  It started to get light a little after five so I wandered around near the edge of the lake north of the north Marina.  July 31 - First bird heard was Killdeer, then Canada Goose, then Raven and then a Willet calling as it flew in from the north and went south along the edge of the lake about 20 feet from me.  Even in the early morning light before the sun was above the mountains the black and white outer wing pattern and gray body were evident.  Number 250 finally.  I never saw it land and could not find it again with any of the shorebirds along the lake.  Two Caspian Terns flew in from the north at about 8 AM and some peep.  Also seen were two LB Dowitcher, a Semi-palmated Plover, about 50 peep including Western and Least and a couple Spotted Sandpiper.  That is a lot of shorebirds for Trinity!
As to Mike's question I can't say how anybody else does it, but I take all my food and drinks for my trips whether 2 or 24 or 48 hours.  So I never go to stores or restaurants or fast food spots.  The only thing I buy is gas while wearing a mask, gloves and using hand sanitizer.  I don't use motels but sleep in my Subaru or on the ground (no campgrounds).  I believe that all of that is safer than going to a grocery store.   And it certainly is better for my mental health to get out and see some birds and the beautiful country in our state.
Stay Safe!!
John LutherOakland