Date: 7/31/20 7:39 pm
From: Cindy Bridges <0000009cdc2af652-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: Unusual Bluebird Nest Location?

Mark,years ago I had a pair of Bluebirds nest in the corner of my front porch in a spot normally occupied by a Phoebe. I also could not believe it since two sides were exposed. Unfortuantly they did not fair well, a starling wanted that spot and dumped the babies out and moved in.Another occassion a pair built in a garage between two beams. Two sides and the top were exposed. Apparently when the time comes to nest they will use what is available. Or maybe they are that "couple" at the party who are nice but a little odd.

-
Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul alike. John Muir
Cindy Bridges Couch Mo Oregon County <cjontheriver...>

On Friday, July 31, 2020, 08:47:01 PM CDT, Mark Haas <kathyhaas...> wrote:

At Tywappity Lake today, while still basking in the delight of seeing a Swallow-tailed Kite, I observed adult Eastern Bluebirds flying into the lake’s covered fishing dock. That seemed odd, until closer inspection revealed a Bluebird nest on a ledge under the overhang of the dock. They were busily feeding three chicks. I have never seen an exposed (at least partially) Bluebird nest. This nest location is where I typically see Barn Swallow nests. Has anyone else had this experience? Photo in eBird checklist https://ebird.org/checklist/S71982070 .

Mark Haas

Jackson, MO

ABA Birding Code of Ethics

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/