Date: 7/31/20 6:14 pm
From: Lynn Wohlers <wohlers13...>
Subject: Re: [Tweeters] Two dead Chickadees
Since asking the question 3 weeks ago I've seen only one Chickadee that
didn't look right. I saw it twice. It seemed weak or maybe off balance. We
cleaned everything out as suggested and are hoping the problem is solved,
but this idea about mouse bait is worrisome. The people next door also have
feeders and their house is close by. They mentioned a rodent problem once
in the past. I think rodent bait might be the way they would deal with it
so it's a possibility. I will ask next time I see them.
Thanks so much for that suggestion, Dave!

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 3:44 PM <dgrainger...> wrote:

> Is there any chance that a nearby neighbor has a rodent problem and put
> out granulated mouse bait?

> On 2020-07-06 20:02, <dgrainger...> wrote:
> > Certainly hope this is not the same infection that hit the Pine
> > Siskins so hard last year! Anybody expert in that field out there with
> > info?
> > On 2020-07-06 15:44, Lynn Wohlers wrote:
> >> We just found a dead Chickadee under our feeders, the second one in
> >> about 7 days. I didn't see any injuries in either bird. I believe both
> >> were Black-capped. The first one we found was very disheveled, and I
> >> had noticed a disheveled, weak-looking Chickadee at the feeder the day
> >> before. That was the day we had pretty heavy rain all day (we're in
> >> Anacortes).
> >>
> >> It seems unusual for two birds to die in the same spot so close in
> >> time. We have Barred owls but they would have made off with a meal,
> >> and a cursory look showed no injuries.
> >>
> >> Does anyone have an idea why this would happen? A dirty feeder
> >> possibly? We do have a big Chickadee population (Black-capped &
> >> Chestnut-backed).
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Lynn Wohlers