Date: 7/31/20 5:53 pm
From: jim lomax <sdrib...>
Subject: [countybirders] Humboldt County
’s up dogs?”

I think demons were chasing me up the highway. I saw long shadows. Or maybe I was dreaming. Need more sleep. Anyway I arrived at Blue Lake about 0500 and parked on Taylor Way near the west end by the I-don’t-know-what-it-is, maybe a rock/gravel business but either way there were constant pickup trucks coming into the place between 0500 and 0600 keeping me awake.

With enough early light finally by 0614, I walked south on the trail which everyone described as on the first bend being the “spot”. But around 0640, the GRAY CATBIRD came near enough in the vegetation to see and then jumped up and up in one of the trees giving bladder emptying looks. This was roughly 100 feet north of the bend. Very nice. Eventually I went home.

“Truckin’ like the do-dah man”,

Jim Lomax
Solitary Birder
from No Particular Place

Not at all sure where I’ve been, but I’m not starting over again.