Date: 7/31/20 5:43 pm
From: rainyday via groups.io <c_griz=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [AKBirding] Friday, July 31, 2020 Greater Yellowlegs hunting
Friday, July 31, 2020 Greater Yellowlegs huntingSeward, Alaska

After not seeing any GREATER YELLOWLEGS for several weeks, two waded into view along the shore of a wetlands and continued hunting. I immediately sat down to watch, camera at the ready.
Wading up to their bellies and probing past their eyeballs into the decomposing leafy sediment, they gobbled up small invertebrates. I held still, amazed, as one continued to approached closely, unconcerned.
The long bill plunged underwater as it caught another one, then thrashed the prize back and forth in the water. I snapped a photo of the de-cased caddisfly larva just before it went down the hatch. Who knew there were caddisfly larvae here in this tidally-inundated water?
According to field guides, adults in non-breeding plumage and juveniles both have a bi-colored bill with a paler base and mostly clear white flanks and belly. Juveniles have more streaking on the neck, crisper markings, and a browner back. If any experts would like to help clarify the plumages, please do.
The two shorebirds lit up the overcast day, not only with their long yellow legs, but by letting me observe them and trusting that all was well.
Happy Birding!Carol GriswoldSeward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter
For photos, please visit my blog at Sporadic Bird from Seward, Alaska

| | |

| |
Sporadic Bird from Seward, Alaska