Date: 7/31/20 5:38 pm
From: Mark McShane <mcshanebirder...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Large Piedmont Mixed Kite Flock Continues - Oconee County 7/8-7/31/2020
Hi All,

The good-sized Piedmont region (probably 20+ SWALLOW-TAILED KITES and a like number of MISSISSIPPI KITES) summer Georgia continuing mixed kite flock is still putting on an awesome and so far very reliable daily show in Oconee County, since I think at least around July 8th, over Colham Ferry Road and fields between Green Ferry Road and Rose Creek Drive and the immediate surrounding area!

If you wait around long enough the birds usually will eventually end up orbiting directly over your head! Recommend that maybe 11 or 12 until 2pm is probably best. Today at about 3:30 they all went up high and drifted away like they do, and hopefully they'll be back again tomorrow!

---

Today's checklist with video stills of the birds from only a handheld phone:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S71986605

---

General site coordinates:

Decimal Degrees (WGS84): 33.836972, -83.405361
-or-
GPS: N 33 50.218 W 83 24.322

---

Please be careful parking and observing from the roadsides in the area.

---

I haven't been to visit the nearby Jackson Food Mart (Exxon) flock since the 27th but expect they are probably continuing there as well. They always come low overhead at the south end of the parking lot there as well with enough patience.

The eBird checklist:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S71874466

---

Good Birding All!