Date: 7/31/20 4:35 pm
From: Stuart Sparkman <jacamar29...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Saylorville finds incl Stilts, Sanderling, Peregrine
Hey I-Birders,

Karen and I just made a run up to CG 4 at Jester Park on Saylorville
Reservoir to check out that mysterious dark duck again and see what
shorebirds we could find. The duck in question was still present, looking
like it might have one primary feather askew. A check with eBird indicates
that opinions on this specimen tilt towards MOTTLED DUCK rather than
American Black Duck, which would not be expected during the summer. Light
conditions were good for viewing today, but the distance is still the real
enemy on these tough birds.

Shorebirds were abundant, the flock primarily consisting almost entirely
of SEMIPALMATED, LEAST, and PECTORAL SANDPIPER, SEMIPALMATED PLOVER,
KILLDEER and LESSER YELLOWLEGS. We were able to pick out two juvenile
SANDERLINGS from the big flock. A group of over 30 GREAT EGRETS were
pretty far out, and the five BLACK-NECKED STILTS viewed here earlier this
week were foraging in their midst. A hundred meters or so away sat a
PEREGRINE FALCON perched on a piece of driftwood on the sandbar.

At home, I heard the PILEATED WOODPECKER pair calling to each other in
the woods behind our house several times this morning, though they did not
put in an appearance. Juvenile RED-HEADED WOODPECKERS and TUFTED TITMICE
are frequenting our suet and seed feeder daily.

Good Birding,

Stuart Sparkman
NW Des Moines