Date: 7/31/20 2:16 pm
From: Tyler Wilson <tyler.h.wilson...>
Subject: [obol] Binoculars for Kids - Summary
Hey, y’all,

Thanks for all of the great advice on kids binocs! Here’s a brief summary of your suggestions:

Here’s an article <https://www.optics4birding.com/chkids.aspx> from Optics4Birding that sums up the suite of considerations nicely. Basically, the perfect early elementary binoc should be:
- light-weight
- low magnification (8 or less)
- wide field of vision (to compensate for shaky hands and hand-eye coordination issues)
- durable (waterproof a plus!)
- look like real adult binocs (kids will respect them more)

I guess quality of optics is not as important for this age group. If I was teaching 5th grade, I might consider investing in some more expensive binocs. At that age, kids can handle adult-style binocs more readily (albeit in compact form for smaller students).

Here are a few options I’ve found:

Carson Hawk Kids 30mm Beginner Field Binoculars: <https://www.amazon.com/Carson-Hawk-Beginner-Field-Binoculars/dp/B000JQ3A7A> 5x30, lightweight, $16.95. (I’m not interested in buying anything from Amazon… Hopefully I can find these from another source!)

Bushnell H20 Binoculars, 8x25 <https://www.bushnell.com/binoculars/h2o/h20-binoculars-8x25/BU-138005.html#ProductManuals>: 8x25, lightweight (10 oz), $52.99. Not sure about inter-pupillary distance on these. But they seem to check a lot of the boxes.

I might order one of each and test em out with some of my students first.

In terms of acquisition, I plan on applying for grants to pay for binocs. Also: if any of you have old binocs that you aren’t using any more that fit some or all of these criteria, I would definitely take donations!

Happy Friday,
Tyler

Join us on Facebook!