Date: 7/31/20 12:42 pm
From: DONALD GRUSSING Owner via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: Re: [Mnbird] Somebody always wants your lunch
In college in Minnetonka I worked part time in a gas station where a colony of black wasps founded a breeding site beneath the concrete walls and floor of this building. They would fly off and return with katydids stung and paralyzed and a food source for an egg they would lay on each. Soon a pair of local Eastern Kingbirds figured this out and would harass the returning wasps until they dropped their treasure. The birds retrieved it and other birds were watching. Soon the utility line that ran past the station looked like Hitchcock's movie. Birds being great mimics, many House Sparrows joined the Kingbird interceptors in a scramble after each returning wasp. Even at that, some made it into the next crevice.

Don Grussing
Minnetonka